No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 am

I want to go there. Just let me in. Writing this one pager is horribly taxing and makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Please inspire me.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 am

If you have nothing to say, don't write it. They have read every single Why X you can possibly think of, and will in fact be relieved that they don't have to read another one. If you have the numbers, you should feel comfortable regardless. Don't assume that another applicant has a leg up just because they wrote a Why X.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 am

Michigan, you've always wanted to go to a T6, SIXIGAN!

Penn, you've always wanted to go to a Big Ten school!

Duke, you always felt like rape was over investigated.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 am

Desert Fox for the win!

gdh
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby gdh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 am

First, the Duke line is the best thing I've read on this site.

Second, you are like the 17th person I've seen mistakenly imagine that the University of Pennsylvania is in the B1G (Big Ten). You're confusing it with the blue and white school located in State College, PA.

Third, Michigan isn't currently a Top 6, but I sure as hell hope it is when I start there next fall. There is no doubt in my mind that it offers top job prospects. http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/blogs/entry-detail/?blog_id=1461&entry_id=10864

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:52 am

gdh wrote:First, the Duke line is the best thing I've read on this site.

Second, you are like the 17th person I've seen mistakenly imagine that the University of Pennsylvania is in the B1G (Big Ten). You're confusing it with the blue and white school located in State College, PA.

Third, Michigan isn't currently a Top 6, but I sure as hell hope it is when I start there next fall. There is no doubt in my mind that it offers top job prospects. http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/blogs/entry-detail/?blog_id=1461&entry_id=10864


I'm sorry, it's easy to confuse them, they are both state schools, aren't they sister schools?

User avatar
sendmeonmyway
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby sendmeonmyway » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:02 am

ugh. can't sleep. iraqis next door too friggin loud. drunken singing in arabic. drawers opening and closing, jumping from something high enough to make a loud crash. It's late sunday night, people, and you're in America where we go to bed at NIGHT. SO INCONSIDERATE. anyway woke up and turned my laptop on for some TLS amusement, and found...
Duke, you always felt like rape was over investigated.
This. glad i'm not the only one who still has a bad taste in their mouth about duke. just can't get over this enough to ever consider applying there. uhh thanks for tolerating my sleep deprived rant.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 am

If Michigan dropped to 7, they hope to become SixAgain.

Puns are bad, and I'm bad at puns. Also, I still want to end myself over these damned essays.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:
gdh wrote:First, the Duke line is the best thing I've read on this site.

Second, you are like the 17th person I've seen mistakenly imagine that the University of Pennsylvania is in the B1G (Big Ten). You're confusing it with the blue and white school located in State College, PA.

Third, Michigan isn't currently a Top 6, but I sure as hell hope it is when I start there next fall. There is no doubt in my mind that it offers top job prospects. http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/blogs/entry-detail/?blog_id=1461&entry_id=10864


I'm sorry, it's easy to confuse them, they are both state schools, aren't they sister schools?


Obvious troll is... effective? Well played sir, well played.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 am

I actually decided not to apply to Penn last year purely because I couldn't be bothered to write the required "Why Penn" essay. Not sure why they require it when most people's honest answer is "I think you're the highest ranked school that will take me."

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby EMZE » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 am

redsoxfan2495 wrote:I actually decided not to apply to Penn last year purely because I couldn't be bothered to write the required "Why Penn" essay. Not sure why they require it when most people's honest answer is "I think you're the highest ranked school that will take me."


Uh oh...

I stuck to the DS / numbers dont reflect abilities essays.. Why Penn was required?

96 bucks down the DRAIN.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 am

EMZE wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:I actually decided not to apply to Penn last year purely because I couldn't be bothered to write the required "Why Penn" essay. Not sure why they require it when most people's honest answer is "I think you're the highest ranked school that will take me."


Uh oh...

I stuck to the DS / numbers dont reflect abilities essays.. Why Penn was required?

96 bucks down the DRAIN.


Nope, it only requires at least one of either a Diversity Statement, a Why Penn, and/or an essay on which piece of art or literature inspired you to apply. So as long you got the diversity statement it, you should be fine. I think they would be prefer a "Why Penn" essay, but I don't think it'll much matter.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:Duke, you always felt like rape was over investigated.

I love this post

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby bceagles182 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:14 am

Campagnolo wrote:I want to go there. Just let me in. Writing this one pager is horribly taxing and makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Please inspire me.



um, what do you think law school is like?

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:59 am

I know law school isn't all candy and roses. I just can't write this essay because procrastinating is so much fun, and because I haven't visited these schools, so it's tough to write about something I don't have first hand experience of. All I can do is synthesize what everyone else tells me about these places. It just feels lame.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am

tennisking88 wrote:If you have nothing to say, don't write it.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby top30man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:10 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:If you have nothing to say, don't write it.

Self quote is confusing. If you cant think of anything for Penn, do the literature one. Or research a clinic or professor that interests you. Its just one page.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: No motivation: Why Mich/Penn/Duke

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:53 pm

EMZE wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:I actually decided not to apply to Penn last year purely because I couldn't be bothered to write the required "Why Penn" essay. Not sure why they require it when most people's honest answer is "I think you're the highest ranked school that will take me."


Uh oh...

I stuck to the DS / numbers dont reflect abilities essays.. Why Penn was required?

96 bucks down the DRAIN.
I am a white, straight middle-class male, meaning for me the DS was out and the Why Penn was pretty much required.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.