Addressing Low GPA in PS? Let the PS speak for itself? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawlaw888

New

Addressing Low GPA in PS? Let the PS speak for itself?

Post by lawlaw888 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm writing my ps and I stayed away from the topic of my low gpa in my writing. However, I do want the adcom reading my ps to know that despite my low GPA, I can still be successful in law school. How do I do this without delving into too much about my numbers (since I already write an addendum for this). I want to be brief but clear about my ablility to succeed despite my GPA. Should I let the rest of the writing speak for itself? What should I do?

lrslayer

Silver

Re: Addressing Low GPA in PS? Let the PS speak for itself?

Post by lrslayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 pm

is there a correlation between the grade drop and the story you will present in your ps?
yes- address it subtly, try to bring as little attention as possible
no- there is no need to add it just for the sake of adding it. especially since you are writing an addendum

for example, if you gpa is low due to near death illness freshman year and that same near death experience helped you become the bright enthusiastic mature person you are today, then it will need to be addressed.
if on the other hand you slacked of freshman year and your ps is about your time after u.g. feeding starving kids in africa, then you will not need to address your gpa there.

make sense?
good luck

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Your GPA speaks for itself. There is no guarantee you'll do better in law school than college. Law school grades are curved, so in that sense its incomparable to college.

lawlaw888

New

Post by lawlaw888 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Okay that makes sense. thanks for the help!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”