Please take a look over my resume Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ctacoronti

New

Please take a look over my resume

Post by ctacoronti » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I'd love it if you could take a few moments to critique my resume:

--LinkRemoved--

I have a few things I'd like you to look out for/answer questions:
1) Please find places where I can use more active verbs
2) Please look for bullet points that are unclear
3) Should I include my GPA when it is included on my LSAC academic record?
4) Should I include non-significant work experience (i.e., I'm working two part-time jobs right now and when I first got out of college was a flight attendant for a bit)?
5) Please look out for consistency issues

Thanks!

tombnorton

New

Re: Please take a look over my resume

Post by tombnorton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:05 pm

When you're talking about dates, I'd skip the mention of particular months, and write the year out in full (i.e. 2011, not '11).

Additionally, I'd list the bolded text before the italicized text in the sections about your education and work experience. It'll flow better that way.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:14 pm

This may be personal preference but I think it looks cleaner when the school is listed first before the major (History, Mercer University looks awkward to me).

Also you use "Developed" three times and "Persuaded" twice.

Also (personal preference) but "Grew" just bugs me as a resume word. It seems like you could come up with something a lot stronger and formal.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Agree with the Bold before Italics

Also -
Selected to represent the Colleges of Arts and Humanities, presented research to students, staff, alumni, and the community at “Big Night” in April ‘06

I would change to:
Selected to represent Colleges of Arts and Humanities at "Big Night" 2006 - Presented research to students, staff, alumni and the community

and this:
Activities and Interests:

Licensed skydiver, novice power lifter, amateur chef and baker

I've been told no one cares about your non-work, non-education related skills unless they are part of your personal statement or diversity statement or in some other way are included in an addendum but that the should not be on your resume.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:17 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:This may be personal preference but I think it looks cleaner when the school is listed first before the major (History, Mercer University looks awkward to me).

Also you use "Developed" three times and "Persuaded" twice.

Also (personal preference) but "Grew" just bugs me as a resume word. It seems like you could come up with something a lot stronger and formal.
agree, I would make it more like:
University of West Georgia Carrollton, GA
Bachelor of Arts, History

Edit: *well, that didn't work out so well but I meant to put it on separate lines*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm

JoeMo wrote:Agree with the Bold before Italics

Also -
Selected to represent the Colleges of Arts and Humanities, presented research to students, staff, alumni, and the community at “Big Night” in April ‘06

I would change to:
Selected to represent Colleges of Arts and Humanities at "Big Night" 2006 - Presented research to students, staff, alumni and the community

and this:
Activities and Interests:

Licensed skydiver, novice power lifter, amateur chef and baker

I've been told no one cares about your non-work, non-education related skills unless they are part of your personal statement or diversity statement or in some other way are included in an addendum but that the should not be on your resume.
I've heard both sentiments. I personally think that one little thing at the bottom of the resume can make you more well-rounded and more personable. That being said, I think you have too many of those "one things". I would just stick with Licensed skydiver. However, your "Activities and Interests" section is going to look really sparse.

ctacoronti

New

Post by ctacoronti » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, please keep it coming!
I've heard both sentiments. I personally think that one little thing at the bottom of the resume can make you more well-rounded and more personable. That being said, I think you have too many of those "one things". I would just stick with Licensed skydiver. However, your "Activities and Interests" section is going to look really sparse.
Regarding my interests, I agree that it makes me seem a little scatter-brained. I'll probably just cut that back to licensed skydiver and volunteering (to show that I'm still volunteering at the organization that I chose to leave because I'm still dedicated to the issues). Powerlifting and cooking are really just hobbies, and while I love them, they weren't rigorous programs I had to go through (like skydiving) or roles where I have had significant responsibility (like volunteering). If they make me seem more scattered, then I have no problem removing them.

Any other interests and achievements other than the ones listed are things I was involved in several years ago or while in school (which are then listed under my education) and I don't feel are still relevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”