stuff on resume Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dreamflower

New

stuff on resume

Post by dreamflower » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Last edited by dreamflower on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggibelli

Bronze

Re: Greek stuff on resume

Post by ggibelli » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:38 pm

dreamflower wrote:I was in a sorority in college and held a well respected position with philanthropy and thus did many philanthropic things as a result. I was also on greek judicial board and received a sorority award. I think sororities are pretty lame, but should I include this on my resume or does it look silly? I graduated in 2010 so I have been out for a year and half with work experience.
i have my fraternity stuff on my resume under extracurriculars with brief description of officers and duties fulfilled. i dont think it could hurt

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 pm

I was really hoping this would be about working for the Greek treasury and potential embarrassment coming from that

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:05 am

ggibelli wrote:
dreamflower wrote:I was in a sorority in college and held a well respected position with philanthropy and thus did many philanthropic things as a result. I was also on greek judicial board and received a sorority award. I think sororities are pretty lame, but should I include this on my resume or does it look silly? I graduated in 2010 so I have been out for a year and half with work experience.
i have my fraternity stuff on my resume under extracurriculars with brief description of officers and duties fulfilled. i dont think it could hurt
I would list these as a brief, bulleted list. Your positions should be listed under E/Cs and, if you have other awards, list those including your sorority one separately.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:10 am

dreamflower wrote:I think sororities are pretty lame.
Says the girl with the sorority self-tar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:50 pm

IAFG wrote:I was really hoping this would be about working for the Greek treasury and potential embarrassment coming from that
It would probably be most advantageous to repudiate all ties to Greece at present.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Srsly.

And if you think they are lame, why did you participate in so much....? And spend the money on it? Either because you enjoyed it (which you apparently didn't) or to pad your resume. So....I guess that leaves you with one option.

dreamflower

New

Post by dreamflower » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Last edited by dreamflower on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:40 pm

dreamflower wrote:
luxxe wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Srsly.

And if you think they are lame, why did you participate in so much....? And spend the money on it? Either because you enjoyed it (which you apparently didn't) or to pad your resume. So....I guess that leaves you with one option.
When I was a college freshman/sophomore I did think it was great. But by senior year I was not into it anymore. But in general I do think Greek stuff is lame on a resume.

if you feel like what you contributed to your community as philanthropy chair is 'lame' don't put it on your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote: if you feel like what you contributed to your community as philanthropy chair is 'lame' don't put it on your resume.
Bad advice. Just because you think it's "lame" doesn't make it so. If you were social chair, I would definitely say omit. Philanthropy chair = responsibilities plus benevolence. What this tells me is that you're organized, motivated, and you like to give back. Why would you choose not to include this? Sororities are lame, but your title isn't.

tennisballs

New

Post by tennisballs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Not lame position, include.

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Justdoingmybest wrote: if you feel like what you contributed to your community as philanthropy chair is 'lame' don't put it on your resume.
Bad advice. Just because you think it's "lame" doesn't make it so. If you were social chair, I would definitely say omit. Philanthropy chair = responsibilities plus benevolence. What this tells me is that you're organized, motivated, and you like to give back. Why would you choose not to include this? Sororities are lame, but your title isn't.

I didn't mean to give bad advice. What I meant was that if you cannot describe the position on your resume in such a way that it looks good, do not just throw it in. With the attitude you have right now, do not make the adcomms think that the position was 'lame' when you submit the resume. I hope this is clearer.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:56 pm

i left my fraternity of my resume...in fact i rarely tell anybody. but thats bc we got kicked off campus when i was VP for a halloween party where we accumulated $30K in tickets, were known hazing offenders, etc. i feel like if anybody googled my chapter there would be only negative things.

hth

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

I didn't mean to give bad advice. What I meant was that if you cannot describe the position on your resume in such a way that it looks good, do not just throw it in. With the attitude you have right now, do not make the adcomms think that the position was 'lame' when you submit the resume. I hope this is clearer.
Good advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”