Disability Statement? Help.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawschool?s

Disability Statement? Help.

Postby lawschool?s » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:38 am

I am not physically or mentally handicapped, but I was born with a birthmark that covers roughly a third of my face and I was wondering if I could use this in a disability statement and talk about how being stared at and pointed at all my life has helped to shape me into the person I am. How I have learned to be accepting of the way I was born and with the acceptance comes the acceptance of others.

Or is not appropriate for a disability statement?

I would write it under a diversity statement but UCLA does not have one so I was curious if this would work.

lrslayer

Re: Disability Statement? Help.

Postby lrslayer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 am

lawschool?s wrote:I am not physically or mentally handicapped, but I was born with a birthmark that covers roughly a third of my face and I was wondering if I could use this in a disability statement and talk about how being stared at and pointed at all my life has helped to shape me into the person I am. How I have learned to be accepting of the way I was born and with the acceptance comes the acceptance of others.

Or is not appropriate for a disability statement?

I would write it under a diversity statement but UCLA does not have one so I was curious if this would work.

i just looked at my app and yes, i did include my diversity statement. i can't remember if it says, 'upload diversity statement here' but if it doesn't just upload to addendum statement (unless you need to use that for something else). i would not use this as a disability statement as it just is not a disability. def a diversity statement only.

lawschool?s

Re: Disability Statement? Help.

Postby lawschool?s » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:26 am

UCLA doesn't have a diversity statement and I know they are looking for diversity so your saying its okay to put it as an addendum.

On their app is says:
"If there is additional information you would like to include in your application, please attach an addendum."

So it sounds fine. Just making sure with others since it is left out and I would prefer it not to be my personal statement.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”