Why X or DS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
omega918

New

Why X or DS?

Post by omega918 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:37 pm

I am an older applicant, with a variety of work experiences (teaching, acting, working with my wife to create and run her own successful business). Many of my experiences have overlapped, allowing me to become used to working 60-70 hours a week, and become successful in each field. I also own my own home, and have dealt with negotiating mortgage interest rates, and the contracts and offer/counter-offer process of real estate.

I understand that none of this makes me as diverse as race/religion/SES disadvantage/etc, but I do believe they provide me with some unique qualities and insights that I could add to a school's entering class. Would these be better addressed in a DS, or in a Why X essay, tying them to specific programs/visions within certain schools?

roguewave19

New

Re: Why X or DS?

Post by roguewave19 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Could you put it in your PS?

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:12 pm

This may be more applicable to a PS. As a DS, you might have to present additional, more specific circumstances that truly make your experience a diverse one-- older applicants are more common than you think, especially ITE.

If you somehow can relate this to a particular school, you could try it as a "Why X" essay, but it would probably serve you best in a PS, IMO.

omega918

New

Post by omega918 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks. I can try to weave it into my PS. The problems I have been running into with that is either glossing over everything, or losing focus and becoming a choppy restatement of my resume. Time to go back to the drawing board...

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:36 pm

If you're worried about it becoming a regurgitation of your resume, try thinking of central themes. If you come up with an overall argument for your statement, it won't seem as choppy.

For more: http://theadvancededit.com/admissions/h ... nt-part-1/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”