GPA Addendum...Critique Please Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bobbyflayed

Bronze

GPA Addendum...Critique Please

Post by bobbyflayed » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:46 am

I do not believe that my cumulative GPA reflects on my ability as a student or as a person. Due to circumstances outside of my control I was called on by my family to fill a role that took a large toll on my ability to focus in school for a good part of my undergraduate career.

In the summer of my senior year before entering _______________________ my mother was struggling with breast cancer and I was asked to help take care of her and my little brother back in Orange County. While my mother had remarried, we had spent fourteen years of my life together without anyone else and her illness had devastating effect on me. I drove the three and a half hours between school and home nearly every weekend to help out around the house and to spend time with her as she recovered from her mastectomy and started seeking long-term treatment from her doctors. As a result, I was not able to give school the attention that was needed.
I believe that my performance in the following years are much more indicative of my ability as a student. After everything settled down at home I was able to put the ordeal behind me and focus on my education. I picked up internships halfway through my sophomore year, as my mother began to feel more capable, and made the Dean’s Honor List six consecutive times between my junior year and graduation.

While such circumstances could have been handled better in relation to my performance in school, it was the first time I had experienced that level of turmoil in my life. I take responsibility for the way I handled things, and I don’t regret the time I took for my family. I hope that you will look at my record with the understanding that I am capable of a higher standard than my GPA shows, a standard reflected by my LSAT score. Thank you for your time and consideration.
======

GPA 3.5 (3.8 during junior/senior)
LSAT 171

asoli

New

Re: GPA Addendum...Critique Please

Post by asoli » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 pm

I'd streamline it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”