Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
smoneill88
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 am

Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby smoneill88 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 pm

hey guys,

i unfortunately have a history with the LSAT: 3 tests, 1 absent (due to illness).

please read my addendum below and let me know what you think. my goal was to just help give this mess some context and a bit of explanation.

- - - - - -


My first attempt at the LSAT was ill advised and rushed. To prepare for the test I partook in an LSAT prep course, from which I learned little more than the basics of logic. The course afforded minimal opportunities for questions and clarification of concepts and left me feeling unprepared for the LSAT. At the time I had no understanding of the advantages of taking the LSAT just once and decided to take the September 2009 test that followed the prep course. I cancelled my score, for I knew that I wasn’t meeting my potential.
In the months following the September LSAT I abandoned the LSAT course’s methods and began to teach myself, utilizing a few independently produced logic books and multiple practice tests as study materials. I intended to re-take in February 2010, but in a stroke of bad luck I was forced to be absent due to a painful stomach problem that was later treated. On the June 2010 test I noticed some improvement in my score, but decided to continue studying. I knew I could reach at least the 90th percentile.
I continued to teach myself logic reasoning and games using self-taught methods that suit my own strengths. I treated studying as a full time job, and I found my logic skills finally clicking and saw my scores dramatically improve on practice tests. Following a rigorous summer of studying I took the October LSAT and received a score of 169, which is more indicative of my abilities than my previous score.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby iowalum » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:57 pm

smoneill88 wrote:

My first attempt at the LSAT was ill advised and rushed. To prepare for the test I partook in an LSAT prep course, from which I learned little more than the basics of logic. The course afforded minimal opportunities for questions and clarification of concepts and left me feeling unprepared for the LSAT. At the time I had no understanding of the advantages of taking the LSAT just once and decided to take the September 2009 test that followed the prep course. I cancelled my score, for I knew that I wasn’t meeting my potential.
In the months following the September LSAT I abandoned the LSAT course’s methods and began to teach myself, utilizing a few independently produced logic books and multiple practice tests as study materials. I intended to re-take in February 2010, but in a stroke of bad luck I was forced to be absent due to a painful stomach problem that was later treated. On the June 2010 test I noticed some improvement in my score, but decided to continue studying. I knew I could reach at least the 90th percentile.
I continued to teach myself logic reasoning and games using self-taught methods that suit my own strengths. I treated studying as a full time job, and I found my logic skills finally clicking and saw my scores dramatically improve on practice tests. Following a rigorous summer of studying I took the October LSAT and received a score of 169, which is more indicative of my abilities than my previous score.


There is way too much going on here. You have some grammar/style issues (partook? no.), but the biggest problem is that you are trying too hard and the first part just sounds like a list of excuses. Don't blame the prep company, don't ramble about learning logic. They just want the facts.

If you have to send an addendum at all, maybe an edited version:

I did not study correctly and was unprepared for my first attempt at the LSAT. I cancelled my score and knew that I did not meet my potential. After altering my study methods, I intended to re-take in February 2010, but in a stroke of bad luck I was forced to be absent due to a painful stomach problem. On the June 2010 test I noticed some improvement in my score, but decided to continue studying. I knew I could reach at least the 90th percentile. I treated studying as a full time job, and took the October LSAT and received a score of 169, which is more indicative of my abilities than my previous score.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby TommyK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Does your school require or request a LSAT addendum if the scores are separated by a large gap? If not, I wouldn't bother. You took the LSAT when you weren't prepared. You got sick. You did better. Nothing here is addendum-worthy.

smoneill88
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 am

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby smoneill88 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

iowalum wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:

My first attempt at the LSAT was ill advised and rushed. To prepare for the test I partook in an LSAT prep course, from which I learned little more than the basics of logic. The course afforded minimal opportunities for questions and clarification of concepts and left me feeling unprepared for the LSAT. At the time I had no understanding of the advantages of taking the LSAT just once and decided to take the September 2009 test that followed the prep course. I cancelled my score, for I knew that I wasn’t meeting my potential.
In the months following the September LSAT I abandoned the LSAT course’s methods and began to teach myself, utilizing a few independently produced logic books and multiple practice tests as study materials. I intended to re-take in February 2010, but in a stroke of bad luck I was forced to be absent due to a painful stomach problem that was later treated. On the June 2010 test I noticed some improvement in my score, but decided to continue studying. I knew I could reach at least the 90th percentile.
I continued to teach myself logic reasoning and games using self-taught methods that suit my own strengths. I treated studying as a full time job, and I found my logic skills finally clicking and saw my scores dramatically improve on practice tests. Following a rigorous summer of studying I took the October LSAT and received a score of 169, which is more indicative of my abilities than my previous score.


There is way too much going on here. You have some grammar/style issues (partook? no.), but the biggest problem is that you are trying too hard and the first part just sounds like a list of excuses. Don't blame the prep company, don't ramble about learning logic. They just want the facts.

If you have to send an addendum at all, maybe an edited version:

I did not study correctly and was unprepared for my first attempt at the LSAT. I cancelled my score and knew that I did not meet my potential. After altering my study methods, I intended to re-take in February 2010, but in a stroke of bad luck I was forced to be absent due to a painful stomach problem. On the June 2010 test I noticed some improvement in my score, but decided to continue studying. I knew I could reach at least the 90th percentile. I treated studying as a full time job, and took the October LSAT and received a score of 169, which is more indicative of my abilities than my previous score.


thanks for the input. i wasn't sure how complex or simple this should be. what you've cut it down to sounds much more concise and to the point, i really appreciate the feedback.

TommyK wrote:Does your school require or request a LSAT addendum if the scores are separated by a large gap? If not, I wouldn't bother. You took the LSAT when you weren't prepared. You got sick. You did better. Nothing here is addendum-worthy.


some of them do, some of them don't. anymore input on this? you really think i'm not addendum worthy? technically my gap between my only 2 scores is 6pts (163-169). none of the schools that ask for one mentioned what point spread they would like an addendum for.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 pm

IMO, I wouldn't attach an LSAT addendum unless they ask for one, or unless you have something more unique to say other than you studied more.

My LSAT score jumped 15+ and I didn't send in an addendum. I was, however, asked by two schools for one so I sent it to them. From what I know, they justify any large jump in scores (+5 or more) as a result of increased studying.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Why not just be straightforward & honest:

I answered too many questions incorrectly on my first two attempts at the LSAT, but got a lot right on my last try resulting in a score of 169.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby TommyK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not just be straightforward & honest:

I answered too many questions incorrectly on my first two attempts at the LSAT, but got a lot right on my last try resulting in a score of 169.


:lol:

smoneill88
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 am

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby smoneill88 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not just be straightforward & honest:

I answered too many questions incorrectly on my first two attempts at the LSAT, but got a lot right on my last try resulting in a score of 169.


Love it.

Anymore input on whether or not i should send an addendum if they don't specifically ask for one? so far it's +2 for don't send.

SnoDog
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 am

Re: Critique my LSAT Addendum Please

Postby SnoDog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:48 pm

I wouldn't bother with an addendum. Like the others have said, it's pretty apparent why your scores increased. I would only send one if schools requested it specifically.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.