How to start PS off with quote? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
thebilt05

New

How to start PS off with quote?

Post by thebilt05 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:59 pm

If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.-Micheal Jordan

Growing up in a derailed neighborhood ............

Someone please tell me how would I make this work?

law4vus

Silver

Re: How to start PS off with quote?

Post by law4vus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Please don't start with a quote. It's cheesy, overdone, and doesn't get the point across in the way you want it to.

Also it's "Michael", not "Micheal". Also, if you quote someone, avoid athletes.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm

law4vus wrote:Please don't start with a quote. It's cheesy, overdone, and doesn't get the point across in the way you want it to.
This. You only have two pages to impress them. Why waste space with what someone else said?

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm

paratactical wrote:
law4vus wrote:Please don't start with a quote. It's cheesy, overdone, and doesn't get the point across in the way you want it to.
This. You only have two pages to impress them. Why waste space with what someone else said?

+1

You can maaaaaaaaaaybe find a way to work in a particular quote, if it is especially pertinent to your statement and you drew enormous, genuine insight from it. Other than that, it's very cliché.
Last edited by theadvancededit on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Do NOT use a quote to start your PS. I know a retired admissions counselor who claims this is one of the bigger mistakes people tend to make with their statements. A former dean of admissions from one of the T10 schools does admissions counseling, and posts some videos on youtube, and I distinctly remember him making one on PS tips, and his number 1 tip: do not start with a quote. YOU should be telling them something (though showing them, rather than telling them, is even better). Using someone else's words wastes valuable space and shows an inability on your part to convey the sentiment on your own, through your own words and experiences. Plus, it is incredibly cliche.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:50 pm

I agree with this - have you read the Anna Ivey book? She was an the admissions board at Chicago and says one should never start off with a quote...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”