DS too similar to PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

DS too similar to PS

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:26 pm

If your DS is too similar to your PS, should you scrap your diversity statement and just focus on your personal statement.


If your PS is going to be about overcoming struggles that make you unique, and that's the only thing that makes you unique, repeating it in the DS seems redundant and a bad idea.


Confirmation?

UofO
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby UofO » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah, unless you use your DS to elaborate on important points that you couldn't really cover in your PS.

Otherwise, I'd avoid being redundant.

SnoDog
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 am

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby SnoDog » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm in a similar situation, and so far I have decided to incorporate my "DS worthy" points right into my PS, and just scrapping a DS altogether.

You can check out the rough draft of my PS a few threads below... Second draft coming soon. :)

User avatar
Kess
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Yeah I'm kind thinking about this as well. MY DS worthy point is that I was born in the USSR and that most people in my family don't speak English. But I was very young when I came here, no idea if this is worth making a DS. I dropped one line about this in my PS. lol

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby lulzalicious » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:20 pm

OP wasnt your PS about overcoming severe weight issues as a kid? How are you making that into a DS as well? Doesnt seem like that topic would work for a DS...unless its something else entirely youve added...

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:33 pm

lulzalicious wrote:OP wasnt your PS about overcoming severe weight issues as a kid? How are you making that into a DS as well? Doesnt seem like that topic would work for a DS...unless its something else entirely youve added...


I've scrapped that altogether. I just couldn't make it work out, now I'm focusing on my experiences as growing up with a father in prison and a mother in bankruptcy.


Not even sure if that qualifies as diversity.


Although......


Not to be a dick. But it seems like the majority of people that go to law school are fairly well off. So it is by definition adding diversity. I don't know.

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby lulzalicious » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Ohhh OK that makes more sense :) Was gonna say that having been a fat kid is def not diverse...especially in America lol.

If youre covering all the stuff about your parents/financial hardship in your PS though then having it in a DS as well would seem redundant, they'll just read one after the other of the same thing.

Maybe once youre done writing both ask some ppl to look at them and see if its worth it/not overkill to include a DS on the topic as well :) GL!

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:16 pm

lulzalicious wrote:Ohhh OK that makes more sense :) Was gonna say that having been a fat kid is def not diverse...especially in America lol.

If youre covering all the stuff about your parents/financial hardship in your PS though then having it in a DS as well would seem redundant, they'll just read one after the other of the same thing.

Maybe once youre done writing both ask some ppl to look at them and see if its worth it/not overkill to include a DS on the topic as well :) GL!



Thanks!

My thought before was that I'd do PS about my struggles with weight and then DS about being a convict's son. But the problem was that being the fat kid has practically nothing to do with why I want to be a lawyer - if this were why I wanted to be a professional boxer when I was trying to become a professional boxer, it might be different, but I'm sure there are thousands of fat lawyers.

I'm still running into the same problems with my current PS though. Not enough about why I want to be a lawyer, at least not enough to fit into two pages, and it is kind of depressing.

I really feel like I've not accomplished much in my life. I'm a failed boxer with a bad eye, a long list of part-time jobs, and mild depression.


Though I do play a mean mandolin.

User avatar
Kess
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Niccolo, you're not the only one in that boat. I feel like I've never done worth mentioning either and the truth is I haven't. I read some of these personal statements and it makes me want to cry. But I won't. I'm saving that for my LSAT score.

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby lulzalicious » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:28 pm

NiccoloA wrote:I'm still running into the same problems with my current PS though. Not enough about why I want to be a lawyer, at least not enough to fit into two pages, and it is kind of depressing.

I really feel like I've not accomplished much in my life. I'm a failed boxer with a bad eye, a long list of part-time jobs, and mild depression.


I think your family situation and financial difficulties, even the boxing could make for an excellent personal statement. They distinguish you from other applicants just as my personal experiences differentiate me. Think of it as 'you are who you are today because of the life youve lead.' I know my father was an integral part of my growing up, life, achievements etc and cannot possibly imagine how it would have been had he been in prison instead. Dont discount or belittle your life experiences, they are significant and have shaped you. Just think of how and then write it in a way that shows the adcomm the same thing. As for tying it into law school try treating 'Law school' as a difficult achievement you have worked for, despite your challenges. Discuss your setbacks and parallel them with your resilience in the face of adversity and overall strength of character..

Sorry if that is not much help, but everyone has a story..and potential to tell it in a compelling way so I hope you can figure out how to explain it well :) (Cant give much better advice because I still havent written mine yet...workin on it lol)

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: DS too similar to PS

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 pm

lulzalicious wrote:
NiccoloA wrote:I'm still running into the same problems with my current PS though. Not enough about why I want to be a lawyer, at least not enough to fit into two pages, and it is kind of depressing.

I really feel like I've not accomplished much in my life. I'm a failed boxer with a bad eye, a long list of part-time jobs, and mild depression.


I think your family situation and financial difficulties, even the boxing could make for an excellent personal statement. They distinguish you from other applicants just as my personal experiences differentiate me. Think of it as 'you are who you are today because of the life youve lead.' I know my father was an integral part of my growing up, life, achievements etc and cannot possibly imagine how it would have been had he been in prison instead. Dont discount or belittle your life experiences, they are significant and have shaped you. Just think of how and then write it in a way that shows the adcomm the same thing. As for tying it into law school try treating 'Law school' as a difficult achievement you have worked for, despite your challenges. Discuss your setbacks and parallel them with your resilience in the face of adversity and overall strength of character..

Sorry if that is not much help, but everyone has a story..and potential to tell it in a compelling way so I hope you can figure out how to explain it well :) (Cant give much better advice because I still havent written mine yet...workin on it lol)



Thanks, dude. I'm hoping that this is what the adcomms will see. I feel like what I have now may not sell myself as well as it could, but I literally don't know how to do it more than I've already done. I'd post it as its own subject but I feel like I'm making threads left and right. lol



As for your PS, feel free to send it to me and I'll let you know what I think in return. :)

Kess wrote:Niccolo, you're not the only one in that boat. I feel like I've never done worth mentioning either and the truth is I haven't. I read some of these personal statements and it makes me want to cry. But I won't. I'm saving that for my LSAT score.

Oh yes.

I'm still refreshing LSAC daily, even though I know it won't come until the 23rd at the earliest.


All I want to know is where do these people come from that create Greenpeace, score 180 on their LSATs, 4.10 GPA, and all while they were missing a tongue and two legs? It's like competing with machines.


And I'm no John Henry.
Kess wrote:Niccolo, you're not the only one in that boat. I feel like I've never done worth mentioning either and the truth is I haven't. I read some of these personal statements and it makes me want to cry. But I won't. I'm saving that for my LSAT score.

Oh yes.

I'm still refreshing LSAC daily, even though I know it won't come until the 23rd at the earliest.


All I want to know is where do these people come from that create Greenpeace, score 180 on their LSATs, 4.10 GPA, and all while they were missing a tongue and two legs? It's like competing with machines.


And I'm no John Henry.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.