Are PS Stories Overrated? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gabletrained

New

Are PS Stories Overrated?

Post by gabletrained » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 am

So many people write stories and blah blah blah about their lives, someone inspiration, or event. Isn't it better to just write a PS about the school you're interested in and why you want to go there? Talk about your goals, etc. Instead of garbage about your struggles, etc.

I mean, really? Do these admins really care about your life story? Everyone has a story to tell. Do you really need some fruity story line to get the readers attention? Don't you think they're sick of reading those?

I'm thinking about a page or a page and a half: Here's why I like you. Here's why you should like me. Now look at my numbers and let me in. Thanks.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Re: Are PS Stories Overrated?

Post by seanPtheB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 am

Don't worry, I haven't had any big struggles either.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:16 am

i don't know...don't underestimate the value of a really strong PS. i was WL'ed at a lower T14 that should've been completely out of my league given my numbers and the only thing i can think that may have kept me in consideration was the supplemental essay i wrote for the app, which was honestly one of the best things i've ever written. maybe LORs made the difference, but i doubt it, since i didn't have any similar success at other schools in that range.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 am

I agree with the post above in that sometimes well written personal statements can make a significant impact on admission's decisions. But whether or not it does, why take a chance ?

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:40 am

umm... Are you an admin venting here as an applicant??

I see what you are saying. But it is also good to humanize yourself for the admin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:53 am

gabletrained wrote:So many people write stories and blah blah blah about their lives, someone inspiration, or event. Isn't it better to just write a PS about the school you're interested in and why you want to go there? Talk about your goals, etc. Instead of garbage about your struggles, etc.
No

Personal statement=PERSONAL statement

statement of purpose=statement of purpose

why x school essay/addendeum=why x school/addendeum

3 unique essays with 3 different purposes.

What you are referring to (about the talking about goals and why u want to go there) is appropiate for a why x essay and/or a statement or purpose. Feel free to mention a bit in ur ps, but if ur ps is solely dedicated to that, then u wont have the best cycle u could have.

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:24 pm

gabletrained wrote:So many people write stories and blah blah blah about their lives, someone inspiration, or event. Isn't it better to just write a PS about the school you're interested in and why you want to go there? Talk about your goals, etc. Instead of garbage about your struggles, etc.

I mean, really? Do these admins really care about your life story? Everyone has a story to tell. Do you really need some fruity story line to get the readers attention? Don't you think they're sick of reading those?

I'm thinking about a page or a page and a half: Here's why I like you. Here's why you should like me. Now look at my numbers and let me in. Thanks.

I'm frustrated by PS too.

If you don't create a volunteer program that lifts a continent out of Africa, reading these PS stories makes me feel really inadequate.

I take comfort in the fact that as long as the thing is written averagely, it's not going to be the thing to knock you out.

Numbers > Softs

Thank god for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”