Are PS Stories Overrated?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gabletrained

Are PS Stories Overrated?

Postby gabletrained » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 am

So many people write stories and blah blah blah about their lives, someone inspiration, or event. Isn't it better to just write a PS about the school you're interested in and why you want to go there? Talk about your goals, etc. Instead of garbage about your struggles, etc.

I mean, really? Do these admins really care about your life story? Everyone has a story to tell. Do you really need some fruity story line to get the readers attention? Don't you think they're sick of reading those?

I'm thinking about a page or a page and a half: Here's why I like you. Here's why you should like me. Now look at my numbers and let me in. Thanks.

seanPtheB

Re: Are PS Stories Overrated?

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 am

Don't worry, I haven't had any big struggles either.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:16 am

i don't know...don't underestimate the value of a really strong PS. i was WL'ed at a lower T14 that should've been completely out of my league given my numbers and the only thing i can think that may have kept me in consideration was the supplemental essay i wrote for the app, which was honestly one of the best things i've ever written. maybe LORs made the difference, but i doubt it, since i didn't have any similar success at other schools in that range.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 am

I agree with the post above in that sometimes well written personal statements can make a significant impact on admission's decisions. But whether or not it does, why take a chance ?

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:40 am

umm... Are you an admin venting here as an applicant??

I see what you are saying. But it is also good to humanize yourself for the admin.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:53 am

gabletrained wrote:So many people write stories and blah blah blah about their lives, someone inspiration, or event. Isn't it better to just write a PS about the school you're interested in and why you want to go there? Talk about your goals, etc. Instead of garbage about your struggles, etc.

No

Personal statement=PERSONAL statement

statement of purpose=statement of purpose

why x school essay/addendeum=why x school/addendeum

3 unique essays with 3 different purposes.

What you are referring to (about the talking about goals and why u want to go there) is appropiate for a why x essay and/or a statement or purpose. Feel free to mention a bit in ur ps, but if ur ps is solely dedicated to that, then u wont have the best cycle u could have.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:24 pm

gabletrained wrote:So many people write stories and blah blah blah about their lives, someone inspiration, or event. Isn't it better to just write a PS about the school you're interested in and why you want to go there? Talk about your goals, etc. Instead of garbage about your struggles, etc.

I mean, really? Do these admins really care about your life story? Everyone has a story to tell. Do you really need some fruity story line to get the readers attention? Don't you think they're sick of reading those?

I'm thinking about a page or a page and a half: Here's why I like you. Here's why you should like me. Now look at my numbers and let me in. Thanks.

I'm frustrated by PS too.

If you don't create a volunteer program that lifts a continent out of Africa, reading these PS stories makes me feel really inadequate.

I take comfort in the fact that as long as the thing is written averagely, it's not going to be the thing to knock you out.

Numbers > Softs

Thank god for that.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”