Mentor Essay- Can it ever work?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
caminante

Mentor Essay- Can it ever work?

Postby caminante » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I've been working on my personal statement and I'm a little concerned about my topic.

Basically, I'm writing about the conversations I had with one of my mentors and the goal is to show how I've reflected on those ideas in other areas of my life. However, my mentor is just an incredibly interesting person and really makes for an engaging read, and I'm worried my descriptions of him are outshining the parts of the essay that are actually about me.

Do you think that I can mitigate this? Can a PS that stems from an experience with and incredibly interesting person ever work?

ThreeRivers

Re: Mentor Essay- Can it ever work?

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm FAR from a PS expert, but I'll give you the same advice people keep giving to me (mine involves my brother's fight with cancer). You can use that, but just make sure the essay is more about you... mention the mentor briefly / what they stated and then everything else should be about you / how it affected you, etc. Probably shouldn't even build up your mentor too much (when the person is finished reading the essay they should be thinking about you, not your mentor).

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”