Political PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
aaramil

New

Political PS?

Post by aaramil » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 pm

One area which I plan to discuss in my PS pertains to the experience I gained in working with various campaigns for a major political party. The PS will not have a general political tone, but one nevertheless runs the risk of alienating some people just by identifying with a party. Should I proceed or reconsider?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: Political PS?

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:10 pm

aaramil wrote:One area which I plan to discuss in my PS pertains to the experience I gained in working with various campaigns for a major political party. The PS will not have a general political tone, but one nevertheless runs the risk of alienating some people just by identifying with a party. Should I proceed or reconsider?
If you focus on the experience and not the ideologies of the particular party, I don't see this as a terrible decision. Write it up and PM it to me and I will be glad to help you. My PS was also about working on a political campaign, and it didn't hurt my cycle.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:20 am

A number of my students have talked about their experience within campaigns and it's perfectly fine. Just don't treat your PS as a soapbox or try to recruit. Stating your experiences in plain terms is fine, talking in depth about your opinion on reproductive rights is not.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:13 am

The post above, by the advancededit, offers excellent advice, in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”