My PS and DS ideas Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
paulshortys10

Silver

My PS and DS ideas

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 am

PS- I wrote this very rough intro in about 10 minutes "It’s April 30th 1992. While I assume most children my age were at school learning, I was sitting next to my bedroom window watching the L.A. riots taking place outside my home. My parents decided it wasn’t safe for us to go to school on that day, but being inside our apartment home in the middle of chaotic South Central L.A while hundreds of people were looting the streets, wasn’t a much safer choice either. This wasn’t the first time I had seen a crime take place, yet this day forever changed my outlook on life."

Then my body paragraphs would set up how i grew up in a high crime area, how witnessing the riots made me question what's right and what's wrong, and how this experience made me want to attend college/law school. I want to include my parent's divorce/separation in there, but not sure how yet.

DS- As far as my diversity statement i want to talk about how my parents were illegal immigrants from mexico, How i didn't speak english until I was 8, and how these things make me different from most law school students.(very basic ideas as of now)

I originally had a PS that combined all the details that i now want to divide into my PS-DS,(growing up in a high crime area, parents being immigrants, moving to a much better area yet i didn't speak english, parents separation, and how these events have prepared me to attend law school), yet if I did this I wouldn't have much material for my DS(i think).

Just want to get some ideas from you guys.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Re: My PS and DS ideas

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 am

For your PS, describing both living in a high crime area and your parents' separation could work, but you have to make sure it's not too heavy-handed. It could easily go from "inspiring story" to "my life sucked as a kid, please admit me."

Your DS topic sounds great. Just make sure you talk about these experiences as how they affected and shaped you, not how "rough" you had it

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”