Reading Your PS's Makes Me Feel Like Giving Up

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Da1andOnlyPharo

Reading Your PS's Makes Me Feel Like Giving Up

Postby Da1andOnlyPharo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Is it supposed to have that effect?

EDIT: There are some amazing personal statements on here and I guess I'm just weakly trying to ask if they are all that good. I'm a splitter and have been thinking that a good personal statement is what I'll need to pull me through in the T14 admissions process, but all of the great personal statements I've read have some kind of intensely tragic situations that people overcame or some incredible achievements (and even some of the best ones I've read have gotten denied from big schools). I was banking on the going the whole socioeconomic adversity route but my situation doesn't seem nearly as inspiring as a lot of others. I didn't even know I wanted to get into law until maybe a half year ago and I haven't been that involved around my undergrad campus...Not trying to make excuses but now I'm just feeling like it's too late. Anyone want to make me feel better? haha, like, are the examples I've seen just exceptional?
Last edited by Da1andOnlyPharo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmart154

Re: Reading Your PS's Makes Me Feel Like Giving Up

Postby jmart154 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 pm

I think your last comment was in poor taste, my friend. For those on this board who may have been sexually abused, the comment comes off as a bit condescending and insensitive. Here's an idea: brainstorm things in your life that you feel most proud about, or things in which you have demonstrated a particularly strong skill or trait. You don't have to get caught up in the whole "This didn't happen to me, so I most likely have nothing interesting to write about" dilemma. Certainly, that is one avenue to choose, but by all means it does not encompass the entire PS topic list. Quit being passive and take a proactive approach to your PS. Having said that, if you really want to go to Law School, go and make it happen.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Law school acceptance comes down to the numbers: GPA and LSAT.

Like you said, you are a splitter. But your biggest weapon is still the LSAT. Don't worry too much (or at all) about the PS. As long as it is coherent, well-written, and lays out some sort of "impact" situation, your aspiration, or past achievement you'll be fine.

Focus on the LSAT or GPA (whichever is the "split" that you can increase).

Da1andOnlyPharo

Postby Da1andOnlyPharo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

jmart, you are probably right. I didn't mean to make light of anyone's situations (as in "i wish I was sexually abused so I could get off easy on picking a topic to write about"), so my bad. You make a good point, I shouldn't get discouraged by other peoples triumphs. I'll have to start digging for something that makes me stand out.

monkey85, I hope thats the case assuming all went well saturday. unfortunately, GPA's are tough to move in your 4th year, but I'll do what I can.

Klaus Von Murder

Postby Klaus Von Murder » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 pm

As a long time lurker I too have felt a little bit discouraged reading other people's letter of recommendations. Some people have lived extraordinary lives and have done great things which makes ones life pale in comparison.

Still I guess shall just roll up my sleeves and work with what I have. Hopefully I can spin some gold from the straw in my life :)

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 am

It is all about how you sell your story.

I am pretty average if you met me in person but I wrote a PS that could make your cry (several people did). It is all about playing up the most extraordinary parts of yourself.

Then again I had a lot to work with: URM, came from socio-economically disadvantaged background, achieved success in the corporate world

My advice still stands. It is all about how you sell your story.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:jmart, you are probably right. I didn't mean to make light of anyone's situations (as in "i wish I was sexually abused so I could get off easy on picking a topic to write about"), so my bad. You make a good point, I shouldn't get discouraged by other peoples triumphs. I'll have to start digging for something that makes me stand out.

monkey85, I hope thats the case assuming all went well saturday. unfortunately, GPA's are tough to move in your 4th year, but I'll do what I can.

If your GPA is low you can absolutely move it in your fourth year. Sounds like you don't suffer from a lack of PS content so much as a lack of passion for the whole process... find that, find your voice, WHY you want to be a lawyer, and the PS will come.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”