Need Advice on Which Direction to Go for PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
roguewave19

New

Need Advice on Which Direction to Go for PS

Post by roguewave19 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:21 pm

The theme for my PS was the concept that I never had one "hallelujah" moment that helped me realize I wanted to go to law school, but rather it was a collection of various personal anecdotes from internships I've done / experiences I've had. Each paragraph puts me at a specific time and place and is very detailed and descriptive. At the end, I discuss what I have learned about the legal profession thus far from those moments and what I hope to gain moving forward.

I've had multiple people look it over and like it, but I then had some very negative feedback from another friend who said I should choose one moment and write about it for two pages. I don't know how comfortable I am in going that direction because I really don't think I can pick just one moment that sums up all the reasons for me.

What do you guys think? Is including various different anecdotes "skimming the surface" too much and not diving deep enough?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: Need Advice on Which Direction to Go for PS

Post by thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:25 pm

It depends on how effective you present the anecdotes. I think there's a chance it could work, but I'm a bigger fan of picking one moment and expressing it.

PM me your PS if you want, and I'll give you more detailed feedback.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Hard to offer advice without reading a draft.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:45 pm

roguewave19 wrote:Each paragraph puts me at a specific time and place and is very detailed and descriptive. At the end, I discuss what I have learned about the legal profession thus far from those moments and what I hope to gain moving forward.

... I really don't think I can pick just one moment that sums up all the reasons for me.
If you can make successful connections between all these moments and make a cohesive, solid conclusion out of them, then go for it.

I've had students who have done this very same thing-- talking about multiple experiences that lead them to law school-- have been successful with it. Just make sure that these connections are clear and, through your points, form a solid argument.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”