Tailoring personal statements: yes or no? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
80eight

Bronze

Tailoring personal statements: yes or no?

Post by 80eight » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 pm

I am pretty much done with my personal statement. There are places (mostly in the conclusion) where I can mention specific law schools and clubs/clinics/courses I am interest in, but right now it can be generically applied to all schools. For schools where I can submit "why" statements, I go into further depth there.

Do you think I should I change my generic personal statement so it talks about the school? Or leave it as is? Or only tailor it for schools that I can't send "why" statements to?

Thanks for your help!

dani_burhop

New

Re: Tailoring personal statements: yes or no?

Post by dani_burhop » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:41 am

Only tailor when you have something truly meaningful to say. Otherwise it's just a generic "I'm looking forward to being a productive member of class of X" and that eats up word count and adds no value.

Best, Dani

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:06 am

80eight wrote:Do you think I should I change my generic personal statement so it talks about the school? Or leave it as is? Or only tailor it for schools that I can't send "why" statements to?

Thanks for your help!
It depends also on what your PS is about; if you're putting in vaguely "why x" material that doesn't coincide with your topic, then you may be better off without. It's more to your benefit to have a singular, strong topic than one "okay" one that has unrelated text interspersed within it.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:54 am

Like the others said, only add things about the school if you have something meaningful to say.

I don't know what your PS statement is about, but I would suggest leaving it as it is instead of trying to tailor it to a certain school. But say, for example, you write that you are interested in a particular type of law and the school you are applying to specializes or is well known in that field, than you should add it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”