Aliases/Identites Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
xChiTowNx

Bronze

Aliases/Identites

Post by xChiTowNx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi,

So in crafting my personal statement, I am thinking about using a conversation I had with someone that works for a professional sports team (not an athlete, but someone who is a chairperson type) as a framework for my reasons to go to law school.

Now I am wondering, should I use this person's name when mentioning them in my PS, or should I use an alias or different name?

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Aliases/Identites

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

I don't see any reason to. It's not like the essays get published.

Also, make sure someone reads it to make sure it doesn't just sound like name-dropping. If you had a meaningful encounter with Theo Epstein or Billy Beane, great, write about it. If he's your dad's friend's golf buddy's cousin's brother-in-law and you were introduced to him once at a BBQ, don't be a douche.

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I don't see any reason to. It's not like the essays get published.

Also, make sure someone reads it to make sure it doesn't just sound like name-dropping. If you had a meaningful encounter with Theo Epstein or Billy Beane, great, write about it. If he's your dad's friend's golf buddy's cousin's brother-in-law and you were introduced to him once at a BBQ, don't be a douche.
Ha ha point taken. It wasn't Billy Beane (sigh), but it was more like a one-on-one convo type where we talked about whether social justice could exist in sports.

Thanks

dani_burhop

New

Post by dani_burhop » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

It depends on what was said - if everything was above board and normal-sounding, using the person's real name should cause no problems. As for name-dropping - it only comes across as name-dropping if the name is more important than the content. That is: If a reader comes away thinking "I can see how that conversation made an impact" as opposed to "why on earth was this included - just so the applicant could sound fancy?" then you're all right. You'll need to run your essay by readers who do not know you personally to see if it passes that particular test.

Best, Dani

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”