diversity statement - yes or no?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

write a diversity statement?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:06 pm

yes
No votes
no
100%

Total votes: 11

smoneill88

diversity statement - yes or no?

Postby smoneill88 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey All,

I'm troubled thinking if it's a good or a bad idea for me to write a diversity statement. Unfortunately, I'm not what you would call a 'culturally' diverse person. I'm a white male, grew up in Malibu, upper-middle class, and haven't really had any hardships or struggles my entire life (and I'm extremely thankful and lucky for that). I've always worked hard, though, and I think the only strong point of 'diversity' for me is the fact that I've legitimately worked in the Entertainment industry since I was 16 years old until present and already at 23 have an extensive resume and understanding of the business. The trouble is, this will be a big part of my personal statement and is already apparent in my submitted resume and things will be a bit too repetitive if I submit a diversity statement with this subject. The only other part of my life i think I could write a diversity statement about is how I basically had to rebuild my father's and my relationship from the ground up after I allowed a friend to joyride (and crash) his car through the mountains. I think I could spin this enough for 2 or 3 paragraphs to make a good story and end on a moral/life lesson conclusion, just not sure if it portrays me as a diverse candidate...

What do you think? Make some sort of diversity statement or don't submit one because it might feel fake and contrived hearing a diversity statement from a white kid from Malibu?

Hopefully2012

Re: diversity statement - yes or no?

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:32 pm

I don't think a diversity statement would help you in this case. It's typically used to highlight some kind of cultural/ethnic/social economic/other hardship that the applicant has overcome. If there is some extreme circumstances that don't fall into those categories, I'd say it's ok as well but that is not what you have described. Plus, if you touch on your entertainment industry experience and work on your resume/PS it will seem redundant, as you pointed out. From one local to another... good luck this cycle!

dani_burhop

Postby dani_burhop » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Might as well try writing a DS, see how it ends up. A DS and PS should balance tone-wise and content-wise, so your instinct is correct - you don't want to repeat yourself. But if the DS story you propose sheds some new light on your character, it could be worth a shot.

Best, Dani

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:49 pm

smoneill88 wrote:I think the only strong point of 'diversity' for me is the fact that I've legitimately worked in the Entertainment industry since I was 16 years old until present and already at 23 have an extensive resume and understanding of the business.

That is what a resume is for.

1. You shouldn't write a DS since it will probably come off of as shoddy. If you have to stretch to write a DS or you have to ask whether you should write one, you probably shouldn't.

2. Obviously if you did write a DS, it would be a bad idea to have a PS/DS/resume all focused around the same thing so that is another reason why you shouldn't do it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:52 pm

QUESTION: Should an upper middle-class, white male from Malibu write a diversity statement ?

ANSWER: Only if you are applying to Howard, in my opinion. And then it should be brief, e.g. "I'm a rich, white guy."

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone (especially you Wolf, haha). I took a stab at it and I couldn't make it differentiate enough from my PS. It also did sound a little (and by a little I mean very) contrived and fake.

I'll be posting up my PS later today to have you all take a look at. I'm pretty confident in it and am looking forward to the feedback.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm all about the non-traditional diversity statement, but I gotta say, you're really reaching here, bro.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Why the fuck is this diverse?

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Diversity statements are not adversity statements.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”