Please do Us a Favor and Don't Post ur PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
thederangedwang

Silver

Please do Us a Favor and Don't Post ur PS

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am

unless you have actually read through it and checked it several times.

Since the application cycle has started there are a bunch of new threads asking for help with ps. This is all nice and dandy but what really pisses me off is when somebody says

"hey guys, this is a very very very rough draft that i wrote in an hour last night when I was drunk and getting my temperature taken by anal probing. I would like for you all to look over and give me detailed, insightful comments about the obvious and glaring mistakes that I am well aware of but am too lazy too fix, and if you don't i will bump my thread relentlessly"

to me this is a big FU. If you are not going to take the time to at least look over and eliminate the most basic grammatical and stylistic mistakes, then i shouldnt take the time to read ur ps.

TLS users arent a professional editing service, rather, it is like a pro bono workshop. Don't take advantage of us and use us to compensate for your own laziness. All drafts, even first-drafts, posted on TLS should at least be somewhat polished and revised already.

SilverE2

Silver

Re: Please do Us a Favor and Don't Post ur PS

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 am

thederangedwang wrote:unless you have actually read through it and checked it several times.

Since the application cycle has started there are a bunch of new threads asking for help with ps. This is all nice and dandy but what really pisses me off is when somebody says

"hey guys, this is a very very very rough draft that i wrote in an hour last night when I was drunk and getting my temperature taken by anal probing. I would like for you all to look over and give me detailed, insightful comments about the obvious and glaring mistakes that I am well aware of but am too lazy too fix, and if you don't i will bump my thread relentlessly"

to me this is a big FU. If you are not going to take the time to at least look over and eliminate the most basic grammatical and stylistic mistakes, then i shouldnt take the time to read ur ps.

TLS users arent a professional editing service, rather, it is like a pro bono workshop. Don't take advantage of us and use us to compensate for your own laziness. All drafts, even first-drafts, posted on TLS should at least be somewhat polished and revised already.
Man, good thing you're around to lay down the law. You're God's gift to TLS, thank you SO much for setting people straight!!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 am

First of all, reading a shitty PS is one of the best forms of entertainment on TLS.

Also, there is no way to tell who has truly taken the time to edit their PS and who has not. Some people have terrible writing and grammatical skills. (I mean just look at the OP of this thread)

I don't mind it. If you do then don't read them.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:36 am

shoeshine wrote:First of all, reading a shitty PS is one of the best forms of entertainment on TLS.

Also, there is no way to tell who has truly taken the time to edit their PS and who has not. Some people have terrible writing and grammatical skills. (I mean just look at the OP of this thread)

I don't mind it. If you do then don't read them.
Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suite. I recall writing this....

This is all nice and dandy but what really pisses me off is when somebody says
"hey guys, this is a very very very rough draft that i wrote in an hour last night"....I think this will make it obvious "who has truly taken the time to edit their PS"

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am

shoeshine wrote:I don't mind it.
Me neither.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:11 am

shoeshine wrote:First of all, reading a shitty PS is one of the best forms of entertainment on TLS.
+1

If the grammar's really awful but the topic and overall structure are ok, then I don't mind doing an edit for grammar. It's good practice.

If the topic and/or overall structure are bad, I don't care if the grammar's good or not; I'll give advice on the broader problem first.

Honestly, the worst PSes are the ones where the writing is technically correct, but weak. Too many big vocab words, too much passive voice, too many adverbs, not enough variation in sentence construction, etc. Those are the hardest to edit because the writers usually think they have a 'close-to-final' product, but it actually needs to get ripped apart.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 am

thederangedwang wrote:Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suite.
And spelling clearly isn't yours.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 am

thederangedwang wrote:
hey guys, this is a very very very rough draft that i wrote in an hour last night when I was drunk and getting my temperature taken by anal probing

That sounds like the kind of PS that turns heads

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:22 am

Dany wrote:
:mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:28 am

I agree with OP but that's why I generally don't edit them.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 am

TBF OP probably shouldn't be editing any writing whatsoever.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 am

I get what you're saying, but it looks like there are others who don't mind unpolished drafts.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Is it just me, or are people particularly on edge today in TLS world? Is it the pressure of apps finally being able to be sent? Of ED decisions at some schools rolling in? Of 1Ls starting classes?

I'm not talking about OP - I'm talking about this whole thread, responses and all, lol. Maybe we all need a break.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm

MumofCad wrote:Is it just me, or are people particularly on edge today in TLS world? Is it the pressure of apps finally being able to be sent? Of ED decisions at some schools rolling in? Of 1Ls starting classes?

I'm not talking about OP - I'm talking about this whole thread, responses and all, lol. Maybe we all need a break.
Outed as never having been in the lounge before.

avemundi

Bronze

Post by avemundi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Dany wrote:
Oh SNAP

hehehehe

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:49 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Is it just me, or are people particularly on edge today in TLS world? Is it the pressure of apps finally being able to be sent? Of ED decisions at some schools rolling in? Of 1Ls starting classes?

Outed as never having been in the lounge before.
Totally haven't - sounds like I better continue that tradition! I'm busting up though that a PS thread now has "snaps" written in it.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:56 pm

MumofCad wrote:Totally haven't - sounds like I better continue that tradition! I'm busting up though that a PS thread now has "snaps" written in it.
:lol: Linkage plz.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm

With OP on this one.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm

I think an unedited PS is totally suite. Maybe the suitest thing ever. Just really goddamn suite.

LawSchoolGuru

New

Post by LawSchoolGuru » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Here's a scenario - What do you do when someone writes lol in their personal statement?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:08 pm

LawSchoolGuru wrote:Here's a scenario - What do you do when someone writes lol in their personal statement?

How'd you get a copy of my Yale 250? In my defense, I was at 249 and using "laughing out loud" would have made me an auto-reject. I had no choice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:I think an unedited PS is totally suite. Maybe the suitest thing ever. Just really goddamn suite.
--ImageRemoved--?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:21 pm

What is going on with the capitalization in this thread title?

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Thankfully, on an internet forum, it isn't mandatory to read every single thread!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”