A couple of questions... Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Eve0000

New

A couple of questions...

Post by Eve0000 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I have a few application questions, let me know what you guys think...

1. I graduated with a 3.5 UGPA and 3.7 Graduate GPA. However, my first semester of undergrad, I was working full time and was not focusing on school as much (also being the typical college freshman that didn't take college as seriously as I should have) so my GPA ended up being 2.9 in freshman year. After that, it was around 3.6-4.0 and up for each semester. Should I write an addendum explaining the low GPA in my freshman year, stating that a full time job interfered with my studies?

2. My native language is not English and I came to the states when I was 12 years old. Would talking about that make a good diversity statement? Just to supplement my applications?

Thanks for the advice!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: A couple of questions...

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:27 pm

As to your first question, if you were getting 3.6-4.0 for the next six semesters how did your GPA remain at a 3.5? Were most of the semesters closer to 3.6? I suppose more information is always better, but I'd say even without a statement from you the adcomm would be able to see the rise in GPA. If you feel more comfortable including this information, I don't think it would hurt you.

For the second question, yes, I definitely think that would make an excellent DS.

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:As to your first question, if you were getting 3.6-4.0 for the next six semesters how did your GPA remain at a 3.5? Were most of the semesters closer to 3.6? I suppose more information is always better, but I'd say even without a statement from you the adcomm would be able to see the rise in GPA. If you feel more comfortable including this information, I don't think it would hurt you.

For the second question, yes, I definitely think that would make an excellent DS.

Thank you!

dani_burhop

New

Post by dani_burhop » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Applicants with graduate degrees are often considered differently than applicants with just a BA - especially if you have a PhD or MBA. Thus, I wouldn't even mention your freshmen year of college. Many students have a rocky first year in college, and a low B is not super terrible. You've probably done quite a bit since you were 18, and that's what the adcomms will look at.

I agree, your suggested DS topic would work well -

best, Dani

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback Dani!

I feel like it might just make me more comfortable writing the GPA addendum but do you think it might hurt me instead of helping?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 am

I think you should write a GPA addendum. Going from a sub-3.0 to a Dean's List-y GPA is a big enough leap, and accomplishment, that it's worth explaining briefly, especially since you have a reason beyond "I wasn't used to college."

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Eve0000 wrote:Thanks for the feedback Dani!

I feel like it might just make me more comfortable writing the GPA addendum but do you think it might hurt me instead of helping?
An addendum wouldn't hurt you, especially if you're addressing a minor quibble in light of your overall GPA and your pretty awesome graduate GPA. The question is more if you have the time to do so or not. If you have time, then go for it. If you don't, then don't worry about it.

dani_burhop

New

Post by dani_burhop » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm

I only recommend addenda for things that are egregious/unavoidable. Don't make adcomms read more than they have to. A 2.9 freshman year for someone with a graduate degree - not worth the risk. It highlights something that there's no reason to highlight. Law schools are not admitting students based on your Eng 101 grade. You rocked out grad school; let it go. Unless there was a death or illness in the family, it is not worth calling to anyone's attention.

Best, Dani

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 am

I was told by two T6 schools that "the less [they] have to assume, the better" in regards to GPA/LSAT addenda.

So, I suppose you can take that for what you will.

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”