is it a no go to write about learning a second language? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sangr

Bronze

is it a no go to write about learning a second language?

Post by sangr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:07 pm

i did somewhat of a topic like this, i had also read about some (in the harvard book)
about the obstacale, etc. of learning a second language.

however to note i am a second generation so my parents are not originally from America.

but the people who read it so far are like "so?".... "what does this say other than u can be a good translator and u learned XXX language?"

is this true? i feel like i tied it in somewhat alright with my going to law school but the ppl are saying its a nogo.

please give ur input!

thank you!

pbarber

New

Re: is it a no go to write about learning a second language?

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:14 pm

My buddy wrote about being a 2nd generation and believed it help him quite a bit, in fact I know it did. He got in where I had much better numbers than him. I'm not sure about the 2nd language, but 2nd generation will def help

EDIT: I think you would be considered a 1st generation......no?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Whether the topic is an acceptable one depends entirely on unmentioned factors: how badly will the PS suck? Learning a second language is not a PS topic that automatically sucks for everyone, but it all depends on how you write it, what experiences you have that you can talk about, whether your personal experience makes for a compelling narrative, how you use the material to sell yourself, etc.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm really torn about what to do. I thought I had a great topic but the response from attorneys is that the topic and angle I take isn't good.

do u it's believe that attorneys always have the right opinion about PS?

thanks

pbarber

New

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I think the 2nd language conversation should be in your DS not PS, PS for me has been the motivation for law school, why you would be a good fit for that school, etc. DS is why u are different from the rest, what you have to offer that others do not. hope that helps
GL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:17 pm

do u believe at all though, that learning a language could tie INTO your reason for going into law school?

pbarber

New

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I would think it could if it was Spanish, theres a huge latino population in west that needs representation

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

sangr wrote:do u believe at all though, that learning a language could tie INTO your reason for going into law school?
You tell me

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 pm

well i do believe there is a way, but the overwhelming response seems to be NO.
so jus wondering if theres anyone else like me.

i ask because i see some ssays in the harvard law school essays book that specifically talk about learning a language...so im a little confused... some ppl say NO..but i see evidence of ppl who got admitted with such essays

is my approach wrong? or is the topic really bad?
hmm.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:22 pm

No one can answer this question without seeing the PS. You need to post it or share it with people for them to really be able to offer an opinion. This can be a totally effective statement topic obviously. You can look at successful example books and find many cases. It could also be terrible, forced, and ineffective. The topic is too general to definitively say whether it works for you.

I wouldn't think that attorneys are that useful in this regard. This isn't an exercise most have done in a long time and while they may think a more cover letter type essay will be effective (because that's what they see in professional life), this is a different beast altogether. Its a Personal Statement and they want to know something about you.

Ask yourself honestly whether your topic is sincere. Are you trying to use your status to get ahead and this really has nothing to do with your motivation to attend law school? Then its better off in a DS. If its genuine, then it can totally be in your PS. Just make sure your PS is authentic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”