Abbreviations in Why X letter?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Moomoo2u

Abbreviations in Why X letter?

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi there,

So I'm putting the finishing touches on my why X essay and have a question regarding abbreviations. The school I am writing this for has a very long official name, but goes by a very short abbreviation (let's say it's penn for example ... it's not really penn). Is it ever acceptable to use the abbreviation?

It seems that if I use the abbreviation I run the risk of looking too informal. However, it saves a lot of space if every time I write "The University of Pennsylvania School of Law" I can write UPENN Law (or whatever the official abbreviation is).

On the flipside if I write the full name out I'm afraid I run the risk of sounding repetitive and pretentious, nobody wants to read the full name of their school 5x in an essay, and it's difficult to not reference the university in the why X essay.

Any thoughts?

KMaine

Re: Abbreviations in Why X letter?

Postby KMaine » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:24 pm

It would help if you tell us the name of the school. First impression: official name first time, then abbreviation.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm

for all intents and purposes it is as long in name as penn and roughly a peer school.

That's what I've been doing but looking through and seeing the abbreviations isnt very aesthetically pleasing.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 pm

I have the same question, except its for UCLA and UC Davis. Also, for WUSTL, think I can get away with Washington University?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:for all intents and purposes it is as long in name as penn and roughly a peer school.

That's what I've been doing but looking through and seeing the abbreviations isnt very aesthetically pleasing.

I would say "Penn Law" or "Penn" and that should be fine.
I'd use the following abbreviations too:

Michigan, Virginia (or UVA Law), Berkeley Law, UCLA... I think all these are fine.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Here is a good guideline: If they use it on their website (particularly the admissions website) it is probably ok to use it in your Why X. So for Penn, the admissions website itself uses "Penn Law," so that's probably ok: http://www.law.upenn.edu/about/

But, still, you should say the full name the first time, then use the abbreviated name.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Alright thanks for the help everyone, I think I'm just going to put the full name at the beginning and at the conclusion and just use the abbreviation throughout the body.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”