Personal Statement Topic. Please help. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Eve0000

New

Personal Statement Topic. Please help.

Post by Eve0000 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi guys,

I've been on this forum for quite a long time but this is my first time posting. TLS forum has been of great help in my application process thus far.

Now is the time for me to move on to the next step of my application process and write my personal statement. However, I am having difficulty choosing a topic for it. While I have a few emotional stories, I am not a fan of focusing personal statements on that subject. I apologize if I am offending anyone, that is not my intention, just to each their own.

However, I've been into martial arts for about 10 years now and have recently gotten into running - I started off with running to stay fit, then completing small races, then a half marathon and now I am training to run a marathon. So I was thinking to focus my personal statement on either one of those passions, kind of comparing my life to it, showing how it made me the person that I am and finally tie it into why I want to go to law school and what would make me a good candidate.

I am just looking for some advise on which passion would be better to focus on in my personal statement and I guess some direction. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

NZA

Silver

Re: Personal Statement Topic. Please help.

Post by NZA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Just curious: what martial art?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:33 pm

I think it's ok, but nothing that stands out. How is that related to law? I don't think it has to be related to law, but there could be more compelling topics out there.

Here are examples of good personal statements: http://www.top-law-schools.com/personal ... mples.html

None of them are about sports, running, or similar topics.

It could turn out fine, but it all depends on your writing skill.

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Tae Kwon Do, Tae Bo. Did a little bit of Jiu Jitsu as well.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Right on. :) I did aikido and kendo back in the day.

As far as actual advice goes, any of those topics can work, as long as you do them well. If I were you, I'd ask myself what aspects of those martial arts made me who I am, and in particular, how they may have led me to law school.

Could work well, could be utterly terrible. You won't know until you try.

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for the feedback!

If anyone else has anything to add, please do. I am having a really rough time with this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”