Topic Help Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
JustSomebody

New

Topic Help

Post by JustSomebody » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Deleted the topic info in case it somehow "outs" me later on.
Last edited by JustSomebody on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kekepania

New

Re: Topic Help

Post by kekepania » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:06 pm

I think an essay about identifying a weakness, then working to make it a strength, is a much better PS than one about studying abroad, especially if it was just a really great experience. Even if it helped you grow and mature as a person, if there wasn't anything there that you can directly link to going to law school/becoming a lawyer, then it would not be effective. I think I am in the same situation as you - I feel like I'm the average person. I've been privileged to have many different life experiences, but it hasn't been anything extraordinary or life altering beyond contributing to my own growth and maturity as a person.

I think you could write a good essay if you showed that you took a risk, worked really hard, and really accomplished something that was a big deal for you.
Last edited by kekepania on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spek

Bronze

Re: Topic Help

Post by spek » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:07 pm

If anything it might show character that you noticed something you needed to improve on and you sought out an opportunity to work on it. I'm sure you could describe your experience in a compelling way, and be sure to show (not tell) how you changed after the class. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”