Please give me feedback on my PS idea.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Please give me feedback on my PS idea.

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to think of something better now.
Last edited by Blahh_Blahh on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Please give me feedback on my PS idea.

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:51 pm probs not a good idea. In all honesty, I think it's not just not going to help you, but it might even hurt a little. If you think you're the only student who's taken a class above their level and gotten an A on it (or even that it's rare), you're sadly mistaken. This does you a disservice because it doesn't actually do anything to distinguish yourself from someone else who has good grades, which is the whole point of the PS.

The personal statement is a chance for you to discuss what you did with yourself/what person you are outside of your grades and numbers. If you really are a persistent person, I'm sure that there are other examples of it in your life beyond just that one class.

ETA: also it's silly to think that a good/compelling topic has to be a 'sob story'. Don't you have any sort of passions outside of the school? Most people who haven't had much adversity in their life talk about things like sports, music, extra curriculars, their heritage, etc. Again, the point of the PS is to distinguish yourself from just another set of numbers.

Postby icecold3000 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't think this is a good topic. Check this link out, because this topic sounds exactly like what the Yale Admissions Blog is warning against doing. Overcoming an obstacle, but not really. ... art-i.aspx

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Terrible idea because the 60 makes you seem lazy in light of your subsequent grade of 100. Plus, either you are near genius level IQ, or the course was not as hard as you claim.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”