Why Berkeley Essay?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ttunsehc
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby ttunsehc » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Does Berkeley need this type of essay?

There pretty far upon the list.

If so, do you think it would be smart to mention that I like Berkeley because it's known to be a progressive school?
Last edited by ttunsehc on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:54 pm

1. Don't put your full real name on an internet forum. Yeesh.
2. --LinkRemoved-- No, Boalt does not require a 'Why Boalt' essay.
3. With the exception of places like Liberty and Pepperdine, most law schools are at least somewhat progressive. You could mention you like the progressive nature of the Bay Area, but not just as a one-sentence throwaway. Make sure you can speak intelligently and convincingly about the city if you're going to talk about it.
4. Make sure you have someone edit your personal statement for grammar.

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:56 pm

this is a great essay. i love it!

User avatar
Ernert
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby Ernert » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:1. Don't put your full real name on an internet forum. Yeesh.
2. --LinkRemoved-- No, Boalt does not require a 'Why Boalt' essay.
3. With the exception of places like Liberty and Pepperdine, most law schools are at least somewhat progressive. You could mention you like the progressive nature of the Bay Area, but not just as a one-sentence throwaway. Make sure you can speak intelligently and convincingly about the city if you're going to talk about it.
4. Make sure you have someone edit your personal statement for grammar.


lol.

But to answer OP, Berkeley has a 4-page PS limit, which is relatively high compared to most (2-3 pages), in which it is generally expected that you can include some Berkeley-specific goodness. I don't think that a separate essay is necessary, especially if all you have to say about it is that you like its progressive nature.

ttunsehc
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby ttunsehc » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:31 pm

So do you think a little line in my PS about Berkeley would make a difference?

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:32 pm

ttunsehc wrote:So do you think a little line in my PS about Berkeley would make a difference?

i think the original post would make a great essay. it's short and simple. 5 stars.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:34 pm

ttunsehc wrote:Does Berkeley need this type of essay?

There pretty far upon the list.

If so, do you think it would be smart to mention that I like Berkeley because it's known to be a progressive school?


Grammar in this post alone is just terrible. You really need to work on this before applying.
And Berkeley Law is not progressive like the undergrad campus. It's actually fairly conservative compared to the undergrad scene. We are separate from the undergrad campus and hardly ever interact with them (we have our own finaid office, registrar, etc.), so I don't think this necessarily would be a helpful argument. You should focus on why Berkeley Law and not why UC Berkeley.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:36 pm

ttunsehc wrote:So do you think a little line in my PS about Berkeley would make a difference?
Sticking a single line in your PS about the school is generally frowned upon. It looks lazy and shallow. If you really feel that strongly about a school, you'd have more than one sentence to say about them. Just let your essay speak about you as a person. If you get waitlisted, you can submit a Letter of Continuing Interest (LOCI) later to convince them you really really want Berk.

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:38 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
ttunsehc wrote:Does Berkeley need this type of essay?

There pretty far upon the list.

If so, do you think it would be smart to mention that I like Berkeley because it's known to be a progressive school?


Grammar in this post alone is just terrible. You really need to work on this before applying.
And Berkeley Law is not progressive like the undergrad campus. It's actually fairly conservative compared to the undergrad scene. We are separate from the undergrad campus and hardly ever interact with them (we have our own finaid office, registrar, etc.), so I don't think this necessarily would be a helpful argument. You should focus on why Berkeley Law and not why UC Berkeley.

you didn't think it made for a good why berkley essay? i found it moving.....

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
ttunsehc wrote:So do you think a little line in my PS about Berkeley would make a difference?
Sticking a single line in your PS about the school is generally frowned upon.

you sound like my ex wife.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:you didn't think it made for a good why berkley essay? i found it moving.....
:roll: When you get ignored like three times in a thread, that's probably a clue that you aren't being as hilarious as you think you are.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Why Berkeley Essay?

Postby shoeshine » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Make it part of your P.S.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.