mention masters acceptances? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rachue

New

mention masters acceptances?

Post by rachue » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am

Hi all,

I haven't yet drafted my statement but I have a vague idea of what I will write about. Basically, this year I was accepted to quite a few Masters programs from prestigious schools, but I decided that I didn't think I would be able to do much with the degree after (to clarify, some were LLMs, the others were MAs). It's one of the reasons I'm applying to law school, bc I think in the long run a JD will give me more career options overall compared to my other options. Should I even mention that I was accepted into the MA programs? Basically by applying to them and researching prospects afterwards I realized what I wanted to do AFTER as a career, and realized that I wanted to use law as my tool for such a career. That's how I would likely implement it into the essay.

On the one hand, I thought if I mentioned all that back story, the admissions might think I was qualified for grad level work bc other places had admitted me. On the other hand I might just come off as really conceited -- ie "look! I got in here, and here, and here, albeit for a completely different and not as competitive programs, but still, you should admit me, too!". Conceitedness probably isn't the best quality to be putting forward to someone you want to like you, haha.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight. I hope that gives enough info but maybe it just needs to be drafted to fully convey. Let me know!

Thanks in advance!

MumofCad

Silver

Re: mention masters acceptances?

Post by MumofCad » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 am

I would not mention it. I don't think an acceptance to grad school in anyway promotes you in the eyes of a law adcom. Focus on things about you that led to those acceptances, not the acceptances. Explain your career choices and research as just that, not in relation to master's acceptances. I think dropping these admittances will 1) look really silly and be a waste of limited space, 2) be obvious that you are name-dropping, and 3) make you look immature and out-of-touch since many many people who apply to law schools have successfully COMPLETED the grad programs that you got into.

rachue

New

Re: mention masters acceptances?

Post by rachue » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Yea, that makes sense. I just drafted it actually and you're right, it does come off exactly as that. I'm gonna take it out. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”