Help with an addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 pm

.
Last edited by NiccoloA on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

richie222
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby richie222 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 pm

I would argue that if those are the only things you have to write in your addendum, it will literally have 0 impact on you admissions decisions to any schools you apply.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby albanach » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm

The pattern doesn't look good, but I don't think you should try and excuse it through an addendum. At 17 you were plenty old enough to know the consequences of the actions.

Just list the offenses for which you were charged per the directions for each school. As they're all traffic related they'll probably be ignored. I certainly wouldn't comment about refraining from driving for the full term of your suspension. It should really go without saying that a prospective lawyer would follow the court's demand.

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 pm

albanach wrote:The pattern doesn't look good, but I don't think you should try and excuse it through an addendum. At 17 you were plenty old enough to know the consequences of the actions.

Just list the offenses for which you were charged per the directions for each school. As they're all traffic related they'll probably be ignored. I certainly wouldn't comment about refraining from driving for the full term of your suspension. It should really go without saying that a prospective lawyer would follow the court's demand.



I thought that excusing it might not be the best idea, but I was trying to show that I had learned my lesson about driving while suspended.


But would you say do not include the addendum?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby 071816 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Where's Sunitha Ramaiah when you need her?

richie222
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby richie222 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:10 pm

also, are you sure you were convicted of the offense? r court supervision does not count as a conviction. the reason i ask is because I had a similar incident in my past: i was cited, although not taken into custody, for driving with a suspended license in illinois. I was given court supervision, and no convictions were ever entered on my record.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby albanach » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:10 pm

NiccoloA wrote:
But would you say do not include the addendum?


You're probably going to need an addendum simply to fit in the convictions that the schools ask about. Some might want a list of all your traffic offenses.

You might want a single sentence acknowledging that your past driving habits have been careless and that this suspension has allowed you to reflect upon your past mistakes and learn from them.

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 pm

richie222 wrote:also, are you sure you were convicted of the offense? r court supervision does not count as a conviction. the reason i ask is because I had a similar incident in my past: i was cited, although not taken into custody, for driving with a suspended license in illinois. I was given court supervision, and no convictions were ever entered on my record.


I was convicted unfortunately.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby albanach » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:35 pm

NiccoloA wrote:
richie222 wrote:also, are you sure you were convicted of the offense? r court supervision does not count as a conviction. the reason i ask is because I had a similar incident in my past: i was cited, although not taken into custody, for driving with a suspended license in illinois. I was given court supervision, and no convictions were ever entered on my record.


I was convicted unfortunately.


Don't worry about it - there's nothing you can do to change that.

Just make sure you answer the application form questions fully and honestly - you don't want issues with the Bar in three years time.

Use a single sentence to demonstrate that you are contrite, and realize the seriousness of these mistakes.

Then move on with your application and worry about the bits you can change,

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 pm

.
Last edited by NiccoloA on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 am

NiccoloA wrote:
albanach wrote:
NiccoloA wrote:
richie222 wrote:also, are you sure you were convicted of the offense? r court supervision does not count as a conviction. the reason i ask is because I had a similar incident in my past: i was cited, although not taken into custody, for driving with a suspended license in illinois. I was given court supervision, and no convictions were ever entered on my record.


I was convicted unfortunately.


Don't worry about it - there's nothing you can do to change that.

Just make sure you answer the application form questions fully and honestly - you don't want issues with the Bar in three years time.

Use a single sentence to demonstrate that you are contrite, and realize the seriousness of these mistakes.

Then move on with your application and worry about the bits you can change,


Thanks, mate. I'm thinking something more like this then?

Dear Law School Admission Committee:

In 2007 I was arrested and convicted for driving with a suspended license after receiving several traffic tickets in a short period of time. In 2010 I subsequently received an unrelated suspension of my reinstated driving privileges for an additional accumulation of minor traffic violations. These two incidents are indicative of careless driving habits and I have had ample time to reflect and correct the attitudes that lead me to these actions. Understanding the value of these privileges now, I have grown and matured to realize the importance of following the law.


Should I go with that or delete the final sentence? Should I add an additional sentence stating, "In the interest of being as thorough and forthcoming as possible, I am listing the full list of my past indiscretions concerning my driving habits."

Ticket 1
2
3
..
7


How long was your 2010 suspension - how long have you been driving since? If you've managed a year without a ticket, I'd include that to demonstrate learning from these mistakes. If not, leave it as it.

Clarify with the admissions office of each school if they need to know details for each speeding ticket, red light/stop sign ticket. Obviously you will need to list the suspensions and driving while suspended as these are not minor.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 am

Oh, and no more tickets between now and graduation from law school, however difficult you find it. Observe the speed limit, leave room between you and the car in front, stop for stop signs and red lights.

You're going to have to declare all these again when applying to the bar. You really want several clean years to mitigate past mistakes.

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:46 am

I'm still serving the suspension.

October 26th to October 26th.

A little less than three months left.


And obviously no more tickets.

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:52 pm

.
Last edited by NiccoloA on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
icecold3000
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby icecold3000 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:39 pm

NiccoloA wrote:OK

After looking at the law school applications I realize I may have a few more things to disclose to law schools.

Here's my revised addendum. Any critique will be appreciated (content, grammar, and spelling if ya like ;)) Also should I add specific dates? Because some of these things I simply do not remember the exact day.

Dear Law School Admission Committee:

In 2005 I was arrested at my high school for rough-housing (what was the charge and deposition?) with another classmate on school grounds.We were disciplined [fighting and I was determined to be the instigator; from this(no need to highlight this fact) I learned the valuable lesson of etiquette for young adults and that physical contact of this type with another person is never warranted. I regret this ever occurred and am deeply embarrassed to have been so (insert adjective) in my teenage/highschool years.

In 2007 I was arrested and convicted for driving with a suspended license after receiving several traffic tickets in a short period of time. In 2010 I subsequently received an unrelated suspension of my reinstated driving privileges for an additional accumulation of minor traffic violations. These two incidents are indicative of careless driving habits and I have had ample time to reflect and correct the attitudes that lead me to these actions. (reprase that sentence a bit and scrap this last one)Understanding the value of these privileges now, I have grown and matured to realize the importance of following the law and practicing safe driving habits.

In 2008 my roommate and I were placed on dormitory probation for the presence of alcohol in our shared room. Serving the probation, I learned a lesson in responsibility and the importance of following residence hall and university policies.Sentence about what dormitory probation is


These are all minor and should not affect admissions, but your writing needs some work. Follow this format for each individual incident.
A: in the first sentence:
1. state date (it probably would be fine if you just put the month and year.)
2. state charge
3. state the legal consequences
B: in second sentence:
say you are sorry/regretful and do not intend for it to happen again.


Good luck

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Help with an addendum

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:11 pm

.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.