Anyone Please Read my 'Why Berkeley' Piece?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mattbarnes123

Anyone Please Read my 'Why Berkeley' Piece?

Postby mattbarnes123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm including it after my two page PS to make the Boalt PS 4 pages total. Willing to review any and all application materials in return. PM me if interested. Thanks!

freestallion

Re: Anyone Please Read my 'Why Berkeley' Piece?

Postby freestallion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Sure. PM it to me. I have a "Why B" piece to swap also.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I don't know for sure, but I think that Boalt prefers you say why Berkeley in the four pages you have for a personal statement.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Tanicius wrote:I don't know for sure, but I think that Boalt prefers you say why Berkeley in the four pages you have for a personal statement.

I was thinking about this... but honestly I don't know if it would dilute my main PS to then start talking about "Why B" at the end. I feel like my PS is decent as it is...

Do you think having a 2-page PS, and then a separate, 1-2 page "Why Berkeley" would be weird?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Do you think having a 2-page PS, and then a separate, 1-2 page "Why Berkeley" would be weird?

Based on the interview material I read from Dean Tom, maybe/yes. http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html. When applying for scholarships like the matching, I actually wrote a Why Berkeley then because they specifically asked for one in the application.

I really wouldn't sweat adding something at the end of a PS about a particular school. You can tie the end up so that it's not a sequence of "complete end of PS" -> "Why Berkeley".

mattbarnes123

Postby mattbarnes123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Good points. I was going to try and transition from my normal PS (2 pages) into the "Why Berkeley" portion of my Boalt PS (why B part is ~2 pages) as seamlessly as possible. Not sure if this is the way to go tho. Wasn't planning on doing it as a seperate Why B,but rather a 4 pg PS with two pages of Boalt-specific content.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Just be sincere. By the end of the PS they should have a good understanding about you as a person, so simply lay on the table what opportunities you want to have at School/Place X.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”