DS about sexuality? Could this backfire? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Panopticon1983

New

DS about sexuality? Could this backfire?

Post by Panopticon1983 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I've been considering writing a DS about being bisexual. I have two issues with this I'd like to discuss.

First, although I know ADCOMMs wouldn't ever officially deny me for this, could some old-school intolerant guy read it and end up getting me denied because of it?

Second, I'm not out, at least not to everyone. Would that be a problem?

Edit: For clarification, I'm apply only T14 plus one safety still T20.
Last edited by Panopticon1983 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: DS about sexuality? Could this backfire?

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Regarding a denial, it depends on the school you're applying to. Most schools like diversity and advertising that they have organizations such as LGBT rights groups on campus. They likely wouldn't have those things if they didn't admit LGBT students. On the other hand, if you apply to somewhere like Regent or Liberty, they're most assuredly going to reject you for it.

I think that you're required to produce a copy of your law school application when you take the bar. Not sure on this, but if so, you should just be prepared for other people than adcomms to read it three years later. If I'm wrong on this, other people are free to correct me.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Panopticon1983 wrote:I've been considering writing a DS about being bisexual. I have two issues with this I'd like to discuss.

First, although I know ADCOMMs wouldn't ever officially deny me for this, could some old-school intolerant guy read it and end up getting me denied because of it?

Second, I'm not out, at least not to everyone. Would that be a problem?
I had an orientation-centric personal statement. I was rejected at Notre Dame and offered substantial scholarship at Boston University. Moral of the story: you don't want to go to the places that won't like it.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:48 pm

I usually urge caution when people ask about waving diversity statements and status around in situations were a single private bias can ding you (firm hiring). That said, the VAST majority of ADCOMMs are going to view LGBT as a positive thing, especially if it tells a good story about you. Go for it.

Avoid saying it at all for Catholic schools like ND. Tone it down for southern and midwestern private schools.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 am

Glock wrote: Tone it down for southern and midwestern private schools.
...Wait, really? I can understand why you would advocate against it for a Catholic affiliated school, but just generally adding Southern and Midwestern schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am

billyez wrote:
Glock wrote: Tone it down for southern and midwestern private schools.
...Wait, really? I can understand why you would advocate against it for a Catholic affiliated school, but just generally adding Southern and Midwestern schools?

Private southern and midwestern schools are significantly more likely to have biased people on their admissions committee than non-private and non-southern schools, in my opinion. It is the Bible belt and people are significantly more likely to hold anti-gay opinions. At that point the boost of a gay DS could turn on you and become a negative.

These are generalizations I would use to mitigate risk. It is not going to be 100% accurate. Vandy, for example, has an Outlaw group and everything.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:19 am

Send it. Don't go anywhere that doesn't want you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”