"Aspects of my personality:" too risky/bland for PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
AlabamaIceman

New

"Aspects of my personality:" too risky/bland for PS?

Post by AlabamaIceman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Not in those words, mind, but the general topic is centered on a sport that I have done over the years as an analog for my personality and how I have drive/focus and such that makes me an ideal law student.

In more words than that, obviously, but I'm wondering if I'm going the complete wrong direction with this. First, I see it being a little tough to tailor to individual schools, and I'm also as of yet undecided on what my specialization of choice even is, so there's that.

Finally, my softs overall are rather weak. I'm a non-URM (white, herp) from a solidly middle-class family, not much community service, won some high school and then college speech and debate tournaments, that's about it. Good GPA and acceptable LSAT (re-taking in Oct)

I can send a rough rough draft to anyone who wants to read it in more depth, but really at this point I'm just trying to see if I should scrap this angle and start over. I initially wanted to focus on a single event, but since I have nothing monumental or not vanilla, it's hard to generate the "oomph" with that approach. And also I feel like anything that doesn't at least make me seem a little bit unique and diverse (no matter how "ideal" an overall law student I am) is going to be good for west-coast schools.

GeePee

Silver

Re: "Aspects of my personality:" too risky/bland for PS?

Post by GeePee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:03 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:Not in those words, mind, but the general topic is centered on a sport that I have done over the years as an analog for my personality and how I have drive/focus and such that makes me an ideal law student.

In more words than that, obviously, but I'm wondering if I'm going the complete wrong direction with this. First, I see it being a little tough to tailor to individual schools, and I'm also as of yet undecided on what my specialization of choice even is, so there's that.

Finally, my softs overall are rather weak. I'm a non-URM (white, herp) from a solidly middle-class family, not much community service, won some high school and then college speech and debate tournaments, that's about it. Good GPA and acceptable LSAT (re-taking in Oct)

I can send a rough rough draft to anyone who wants to read it in more depth, but really at this point I'm just trying to see if I should scrap this angle and start over. I initially wanted to focus on a single event, but since I have nothing monumental or not vanilla, it's hard to generate the "oomph" with that approach. And also I feel like anything that doesn't at least make me seem a little bit unique and diverse (no matter how "ideal" an overall law student I am) is going to be good for west-coast schools.
It's not a topic that would be automatically disqualified, that's for sure. I think it would work fine as long as it's well written. In fact, it does a lot of things that it seems like admissions committees want to see: that you're driven, diligent, and have done some thinking about why law school is the right fit for you.

AlabamaIceman

New

Post by AlabamaIceman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:07 pm

Anyone here with PS panache or experience feel like glancing over a very crude 2-page draft?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 pm

Hey, bud.

It sounds like a fine topic, but it would obviously have to be well written. Let's face it, we weren't going to be able to write about anything that would considerably increase our chances anyway, so a decent topic should be just fine. :)

Feel free to PM it to me.

AlabamaIceman

New

Post by AlabamaIceman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:27 pm

soj wrote:Hey, bud.

It sounds like a fine topic, but it would obviously have to be well written. Let's face it, we weren't going to be able to write about anything that would considerably increase our chances anyway, so a decent topic should be just fine. :)

Feel free to PM it to me.
Damn you for making me remember how I forgot you guys over the last couple of weeks... damned internship has the nerve to threaten to make me ACTUALLY WORK.

I'll try to make myself less scare around these parts.

PM'ed BTW.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Didn't read, LOL yet.

Come say hi in the thread. You even have a section devoted to you in the OP. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”