250 Commiseration Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
kulshan

Bronze

250 Commiseration

Post by kulshan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:45 pm

*sigh*, we knew this day would come. It's time to write that 250 for Yale.

Dos and Don'ts.

I'm considering writing mine about a weird phobia I have. Not sure, though. I might just write something academic.

Put your complaints, questions, drafts, etc. here.

MumofCad

Silver

Re: 250 Commiseration

Post by MumofCad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:02 pm

I have barely begun on my PS. Wrestling it down to a 2 page, double-spaced essay while saying something comprehensive about myself is difficult enough.

Sigh
Last edited by MumofCad on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:17 pm

I've written about 3 drafts of very different topics so far, ranging from academic to personal anecdotes. My favorite draft falls somewhere in the middle, though while I like it right now, I imagine I'll fluctuate on this - it's amazing how terrifying 250 words can be.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Anyone else find Asha's blog post reassuring? I have a better idea what I will write about after reading it. I was going to write something academic, but when you've been immersed in writing a 90 page dissertation, its rough-going to think about boiling any of your ideas down to a 250 statement.

I think my new topic will be interesting and give them a more vivid idea of my recent job experiences. Whether I can pull it off in 250 words....that will be a challenge. Doable? Certainly! (look at that pre-pen-to-paper optimism :lol: )

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 pm

MumofCad wrote:Anyone else find Asha's blog post reassuring? I have a better idea what I will write about after reading it. I was going to write something academic, but when you've been immersed in writing a 90 page dissertation, its rough-going to think about boiling any of your ideas down to a 250 statement.

I think my new topic will be interesting and give them a more vivid idea of my recent job experiences. Whether I can pull it off in 250 words....that will be a challenge. Doable? Certainly! (look at that pre-pen-to-paper optimism :lol: )
Ha, no kidding. My PS partially explains what my diss is about, so I sort of want to avoid doing something more on that. On the other hand, academic writing is so much easier!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 am

kulshan wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Anyone else find Asha's blog post reassuring? I have a better idea what I will write about after reading it. I was going to write something academic, but when you've been immersed in writing a 90 page dissertation, its rough-going to think about boiling any of your ideas down to a 250 statement.

Ha, no kidding. My PS partially explains what my diss is about, so I sort of want to avoid doing something more on that. On the other hand, academic writing is so much easier!
Yes, that is the dilemma. I wrote mine up quickly last night, got it down to 250....now I think I will write an academic one as well then see how it "completes" the picture. This complements my PS well, but in both cases, my dilemma is that the best things about what I've done over the last few years can not be talked about in any real detail. It may seem open-ended. Even though its purposefully so, I'm worried that won't be conveyed. And that my PS will be too vague.

I've mulled focusing less on my work experience and more on my academic interests/accomplishments. I don't think it gives an accurate picture of who I am though. Academia for me has been a means to an end- what really drives me is how I use the knowledge and skills I've gained. So, I come full circle each time in the debate. I also feel that my recommendations, GPA, and transcripts from post-grad studies will convince them I can cut it academically. I'm not sure I need to continue to beat them over the head with it vs. giving them an idea about why I've chosen to continue my studies into law school.

Ah well, I'm not going to stress too much over it. They see all the applications and should have a good idea by the end of my app whether I will be happy at their school. I'm sure I'll land somewhere that I'll be happy, even if its doesn't at first appear as my top choice.

PS- Are you not excited to be done with the diss?! I am stoked to start legal writing. Short, concise, to the point. What a breath of fresh air.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:14 am

I'm pondering applying to Yale, but have no idea what to write the 250 about. I don't think I have a good chance at Y (then again, who does?) but I would probably regret not giving it a try. I'm thinking of writing something more academic or perhaps, relating to a side interest/hobby/skill of mine. Some of the ones posted have been so profound and impressive. I have no idea what to write in comparison!

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 am

MumofCad wrote:Yes, that is the dilemma. I wrote mine up quickly last night, got it down to 250....now I think I will write an academic one as well then see how it "completes" the picture. This complements my PS well, but in both cases, my dilemma is that the best things about what I've done over the last few years can not be talked about in any real detail. It may seem open-ended. Even though its purposefully so, I'm worried that won't be conveyed. And that my PS will be too vague.

I've mulled focusing less on my work experience and more on my academic interests/accomplishments. I don't think it gives an accurate picture of who I am though. Academia for me has been a means to an end- what really drives me is how I use the knowledge and skills I've gained. So, I come full circle each time in the debate. I also feel that my recommendations, GPA, and transcripts from post-grad studies will convince them I can cut it academically. I'm not sure I need to continue to beat them over the head with it vs. giving them an idea about why I've chosen to continue my studies into law school.

Ah well, I'm not going to stress too much over it. They see all the applications and should have a good idea by the end of my app whether I will be happy at their school. I'm sure I'll land somewhere that I'll be happy, even if its doesn't at first appear as my top choice.

PS- Are you not excited to be done with the diss?! I am stoked to start legal writing. Short, concise, to the point. What a breath of fresh air.
Yes to all of this!
freestallion wrote:I'm pondering applying to Yale, but have no idea what to write the 250 about. I don't think I have a good chance at Y (then again, who does?) but I would probably regret not giving it a try. I'm thinking of writing something more academic or perhaps, relating to a side interest/hobby/skill of mine. Some of the ones posted have been so profound and impressive. I have no idea what to write in comparison!
You should definitely apply! I think your numbers are good enough to avoid being an auto-reject, which is about as much as most of us can ask :)

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 pm

kulshan wrote:You should definitely apply! I think your numbers are good enough to avoid being an auto-reject, which is about as much as most of us can ask :)
Exactly! I feel my numbers are good enough to not auto-reject, but considering the difficulty of their admissions process, it's a reach for sure. I'm just using that as an opportunity to let myself take some risks in writing a great 250 (while also completely avoiding all of that weird stuff Asha has said she hates, of course :P )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 pm

You gunners are making me feel bad. :evil: Hopefully I can crank out a drank this weekend.

EDIT: LOL I mean draft. :?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 pm

soj wrote:You gunners are making me feel bad. :evil: Hopefully I can crank out a drank this weekend.

:lol: One or two dranks already? :wink:

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 pm

haha you have no idea, my reputation on these forums (especially the lounge) has been tarnished recently, and now people think i'm a drunk loser, whereas before they thought i was just a loser.

anyway, sorry to derail this thread with my derp. i probably won't be working on my y250 until i get a draft of my PS done.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Mine will be a 250 word breakdown of everything Yale did wrong in its last football game against Harvard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 pm

annyong wrote:
kulshan wrote:You should definitely apply! I think your numbers are good enough to avoid being an auto-reject, which is about as much as most of us can ask :)
Exactly! I feel my numbers are good enough to not auto-reject, but considering the difficulty of their admissions process, it's a reach for sure. I'm just using that as an opportunity to let myself take some risks in writing a great 250 (while also completely avoiding all of that weird stuff Asha has said she hates, of course :P )
Same here. I suppose I'll apply, but I'm going to first focus my energies on improving my PS, DS and "Why X" to schools I really am keen on attending/have a shot at. After all that... I'll get to the 250.

My PS is more related to my work experience/passion in law so I thought it would be interesting to round it out with something totally different. Maybe related to poetry. I don't want *everything* to be academic. It would be good to present a different side, I think...

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm

soj wrote:You gunners are making me feel bad. :evil: Hopefully I can crank out a drank this weekend.

Do your PS first dood. :mrgreen:

Anyway -- I figure I'll start writing my Yale 250 relatively soon. I'm still pondering what to write it on. I've finished my PS, and Why MVP, so it's down to Yale 250 and second Penn supplemental essay for me.

I'll probably write it about something more academic, since my PS is artsy and personal.

puppylaw

New

Post by puppylaw » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:03 am

Anyone want to swap or take a look at mine?

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 am

puppylaw wrote:Anyone want to swap or take a look at mine?
I will! PM it to me or post here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:18 am

Last edited by annyong on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Have any of you finished your PS yet? I am totally without inspiration on mine. I know what I want to generally convey, but I am just not doing a stellar job.

I think the problem is that I want to place my hook up front, but then I loose the smooth chronology of the statement. It appears a little forced and hopping around. Present, past, future. I don't like it.

If I switch and go past, present, future, it will flow more nicely but it probably won't jump out at them. I don't want them skimming by the time they get to the more compelling bits.

I should just adapt my 250....but then I'd have to write another 250.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:23 pm

:lol: I loved this Freudian slip Soj. I guess I'll apply to Yale even though it's most likely completely pointless. I have zero ideas for a 250 though.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 am

MumofCad wrote:Have any of you finished your PS yet? I am totally without inspiration on mine. I know what I want to generally convey, but I am just not doing a stellar job.

I think the problem is that I want to place my hook up front, but then I loose the smooth chronology of the statement. It appears a little forced and hopping around. Present, past, future. I don't like it.

If I switch and go past, present, future, it will flow more nicely but it probably won't jump out at them. I don't want them skimming by the time they get to the more compelling bits.

I should just adapt my 250....but then I'd have to write another 250.
Just get all your thoughts down on paper for your PS. Don't worry too much about all those things in your first draft. You'll slowly get everything where you want it as you have more time to think about it and get input from others.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”