Should I put education or WE first on resume?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

What Resume Category Put 1st

Poll ended at Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Work Experience
20%
Education
80%

Total votes: 20

orlando123

Should I put education or WE first on resume?

Postby orlando123 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Applying this cycle. Working back off wall st. type job for a little over a year (ugrad c/o 2010). Should I put work experience first or education first on LSAC resume? I've heard conflicting answers.

tyia

bk1

Re: Should I put education or WE first on resume?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Doesn't matter but I personally put the most recent stuff first (e.g. I only put school first if I am actually in school).

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

meatball122

Postby meatball122 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Would you recommend that I put my post college military/work experience above my education?

College 2003-2007
Marine Corps 2007-Present

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:55 pm

General rule is if you have been working for a few years, then work experience should go first. If are relatively fresh out of school, then education should go first. I think I got that from Ann Ivey's book.

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Generally, even people who have been out of school for an extended time put education first. Usually education only takes up a few lines, and then you can devote the remainder to work experience.

I have been on several (non legal) hiring committees, and we liked to see the education pedigree at the top.

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:27 pm

If you are in school, education should come first.

There's really no debating this point. I've never seen an LS resume that didn't put education first.

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm

bk1 wrote:Doesn't matter but I personally put the most recent stuff first (e.g. I only put school first if I am actually in school).

TINTCR

There may be several ways to format the resume, but there is a conventional rule of thumb.

When applying to law school, (1) Education should always goes first, followed by (2) Academic Scholarships/Fellowships/Awards (academic distinctions such as "honors" or Cum Laude go next to degree listings or right below them along with GPA and Major GPA), (3) Community Service, (4) Employment (work-related honors are to be listed with each job), and (5) Special Skills, Hobbies, etc (if you have room).

Try not to exceed two pages unless you are over 35 and have significant W.E. that needs to be listed. That is a hard and fast rule that you ignore at your own peril. As is the case when one exceed page-limits in one's essays, the overall profile may be strong enough to overcome the gaffe...make adcoms overlook it, but I would not risk it.

I have taken the liberty of sending out templates/samples to those who have PM'd me. If you would like the same, please let me know.

I also strongly recommend that you read Richard Montauk's book, How to Get Into the Top Law Schools. It's the best and most comprehensive law admissions book on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073520 ... 91SJ1PNFJ4

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:43 pm

PDaddy wrote:worthless drivel

It really doesn't matter in law school admissions no matter how much you try to troll otherwise. Maybe the fact that I smell like buttermilk is clouding your judgment.

And Richard Montauk's book... lol.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 am

bk1 wrote:
PDaddy wrote: Advice bk1 cannot refute

It really doesn't matter in law school admissions no matter how much you try to troll otherwise. Maybe the fact that I smell like buttermilk is clouding your judgment.

And Richard Montauk's book... lol.

Buttermilk? (smh)

Here another flame goes, making arguments without a shred of evidence to back them up. I notice you offered no counter-advice to suggest that my advice was wrong. So, game over on the resume advice! I am right, and you are wrong.

Montauk...do you know of something better? I have read the best books, and his is the best of the best. Anna Ivey's book is the joke. Funny how everyone I advise to read that book - some of who went o-fer in their first cycles - gets into law school after reading it. Oh...that must be buttermilk too.

Say what you will about me, but I am a success in just about every way imaginable at this point in my life.

Check this out. Gaia was way out of line for posting whatever she posted (I never read it), and some day her bad karma will catch up to her for doing it. Maybe it will catch her at a crucial time in her life. She never should have posted...whatever it was that she posted. Like I said, her bad karma will get her back for doing that...may take 50 years but it will happen.. You never post PM's, and you certainly don't alter them.

And she was just mad because she got called out by the black men on TLS for being an embarrassment.

There are plenty of posters here, white, black and other, who know I am no racist. I have helped countless students from all backgrounds get into top schools, and many people come to me for advice because they know good advice when they hear and read it. If you choose to dwell on something cheap like her published message, that's going to be your problem.

Keep up the "buttermilk" stuff and I will close my account and come back as an alt...AND I WILL MAKE YOUR TLS LIFE MISERABLE...lol. At least you can keep an eye on me as PDaddy...so don't ruin it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”