Topic Ideas Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ash0117

Bronze

Topic Ideas

Post by ash0117 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Hello,

I am struggling to write my personal statement. Overall, my life has been just "average." Two things have affected me throughout my life: my sister's struggle with Cerebral Palsy and schizophrenia and my family's financial issues.

I feel like talking about my sister's illness doesn't discuss me. But I was thinking that I could say how growing up dealing with those circumstances has given me a unique perspective and a motivation to be an advocate for the mentally ill. Could that work?

My parents filed for bankruptcy when I was seven years old because of the costs of a malpractice case regarding my sister. My mom never was able to work, and I grew up in a world where money was a luxury that we didn't often have. When I was 18, my parents house went into foreclosure- they both filed for bankruptcy and we downsized into a small apartment. I don't think this is really strong enough, but I wanted some additional opinions.

Also, last semester, I participated in Research Day at my school. It involved a semester of work and a presentation in front of a panel of judges. I won. Before that, I was TERRIFIED of public speaking. I did it, but I always dreaded it. With the encouragement of a supportive professor, I was able to overcome that issue.

Looking for any input you can give me!

Thanks.

user08132021

Bronze

Re: Topic Ideas

Post by user08132021 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 pm

I think as long as your keep your PS central to yourself and don't tell your sister's story, you should be fine. It would also help if because of her CP, you joined a cause devoted to this.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:21 am

Definitely talk about both. Mention the palsy as a reason for the bankruptcy? or at least get it in there as its something you had to deal with.

The key is showing how these have impacted you/made you stronger/more capable. It is a good topic.

Just make sure you don't end up saying that you're doing law for the money :lol:

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:55 pm

JaLeCa wrote:I think as long as your keep your PS central to yourself and don't tell your sister's story, you should be fine. It would also help if because of her CP, you joined a cause devoted to this.
I didn't for her CP, but I have been an advocate for the mentally ill through various organizations. Thanks, I'm definitely going to focus on MY story!
Moomoo2u wrote:Definitely talk about both. Mention the palsy as a reason for the bankruptcy? or at least get it in there as its something you had to deal with.

The key is showing how these have impacted you/made you stronger/more capable. It is a good topic.

Just make sure you don't end up saying that you're doing law for the money :lol:
Definitely not going into law for the money. I honestly want to help people. Thanks for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”