Overcoming an unhealthy lifestlye

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gavinstevens

Overcoming an unhealthy lifestlye

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:39 pm

EDIT: thanks for the help!
Last edited by gavinstevens on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chem

Re: Overcoming an unhealthy lifestlye

Postby chem » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Well, the topic isn't new, you'd be surprised how many law school hopefuls run and cycle.

That being said, it is a lot easier (and better) to write dynamically about something that really influenced you and that you feel passionately about. The topic isn't going to get you in anywhere, but if you write it well and effectively, it might give a slight edge, and you won't be writing yourself out of any schools with that topic either.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm

chem wrote:Well, the topic isn't new, you'd be surprised how many law school hopefuls run and cycle.

That being said, it is a lot easier (and better) to write dynamically about something that really influenced you and that you feel passionately about. The topic isn't going to get you in anywhere, but if you write it well and effectively, it might give a slight edge, and you won't be writing yourself out of any schools with that topic either.

Thanks, that's what I expect of it.

It's my best effort at avoiding the "I'm going to be the next Clarence Darrow" trap.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:58 pm

chem wrote:Well, the topic isn't new, you'd be surprised how many law school hopefuls run and cycle.

What he said, the topic is not gonna carry you, there isn't anything your passionate about that's not so mundane? Everyone has something interesting they've done or seen etc..

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:

What he said, the topic is not gonna carry you, there isn't anything your passionate about that's not so mundane? Everyone has something interesting they've done or seen etc..

That's not so mundane? Not really, no.

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:12 pm

gavinstevens wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:

That's not so mundane? Not really, no.

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. The only thing a mundane PS will do is if its badly written it might get you dinged. Otherwise its just a formality unless its written really well

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Hahahah thanks dude. I know that there are many more among us.

I had most of my transformative experiences in high school.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Can you dig deeper for anything else? Maybe work backwards. Think about what will make you an excellent lawyer and figure out where that part of yourself came from? Maybe you can create something in your life now.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:22 pm

sunynp wrote:Can you dig deeper for anything else? Maybe work backwards. Think about what will make you an excellent lawyer and figure out where that part of yourself came from? Maybe you can create something in your life now.

OP, while I think you could make the topic work if you incorporated more of a lifestyle change (as far as becoming a better person all around) rather than simply a health change, I think this is credited.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:30 pm

sunynp wrote:Can you dig deeper for anything else? Maybe work backwards. Think about what will make you an excellent lawyer and figure out where that part of yourself came from? Maybe you can create something in your life now.

I have considered this... (see above)

It all comes out as trite. I want to be a lawyer because I enjoy reading and writing analytically, and I do so reasonably well (not so by TLS standards though). Pretty mundane realization, but it makes me want to cringe when I hear someone with similar reasons for lawyering spin it into a calling. It's dishonest. I don't care for that.

As for life experience...

I worked at Wendy's and, from a distance, observed an immigrant family divided by the INS after an undocumented got a DUI and got deported. There's even tougher legislation now in my state. You connect the dots. This would be an interesting anecdote if it were part of my larger effort in immigration public interest, but it's not. It would be a half-assed attempt to give my PS the aura of the social crusader, which I am not.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

OP, while I think you could make the topic work if you incorporated more of a lifestyle change (as far as becoming a better person all around) rather than simply a health change, I think this is credited.

Sounds like good advice, appreciated.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:34 pm

gavinstevens wrote:

I have considered this... (see above)

It all comes out as trite. I want to be a lawyer because I enjoy reading and writing analytically, and I do so reasonably well (not so by TLS standards though). Pretty mundane realization, but it makes me want to cringe when I hear someone with similar reasons for lawyering spin it into a calling. It's dishonest. I don't care for that.

As for life experience...

I worked at Wendy's and, from a distance, observed an immigrant family divided by the INS after an undocumented got a DUI and got deported. There's even tougher legislation now in my state. You connect the dots. This would be an interesting anecdote if it were part of my larger effort in immigration public interest, but it's not. It would be a half-assed attempt to give my PS the aura of the social crusader, which I am not.

Hmm. I don't think you have to be a social crusader who is changing the world to write about formative experiences.
I think that you should write your best draft about whatever topic you choose. Let people here help you decide if it is any good. It is so hard to tell people what to write about, you need to see a draft to decide.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:35 pm

More general formative experiences, I see.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”