-

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:13 pm

...
Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxguy
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby taxguy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 pm

mcdoc wrote:I was the raid leader/de facto guild leader of a fairly successful guild (e.g., M'uru pre-patch, for fellow WoW geeks) a few years back. Having gained some distance from and perspective on it, I would absolutely not use it to market myself.

Yes, I learned a few things about leadership. Doing research, devising and executing strategies, giving orders, hiring and firing, and dealing with clashes between some fairly dysfunctional personalities--many of these experiences will probably serve me at least a little in the long run.

But looking back, I think my time as a raid leader demonstrates my seriously misplaced priorities more than my leadership abilities. There are so many better ways I could have spent my time and energy than helping a bunch of anonymous weirdos in their quest for prestige amongst a larger group of anonymous weirdos. There are so many more valuable, "real," experiences I could have had instead.

I think an adcomm familiar only with stereotypes will think that an applicant touting WoW experience is probably a socially inept basement dweller with an addictive personality who never took the time to have "real" experiences about which to write. I think an adcomm who knows the game well might think the same thing. You're probably not all of those things--don't leave them thinking you are.

I completely agree. Whatever you do: Don't tell anyone at admission or recruiters at law firms about your WOW experience. Don't ever bring it up! In fact, if you are serious, which I hope you are not, your judgment is impaired for even considering this.
Last edited by taxguy on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby Deuce » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm

lol

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:13 pm

taxguy wrote: I completely agree. Whatever you do: Don't tell anyone at admission or recruiters at law firms about your WOW experience. Don't ever bring it up!

taxguy, does your son play WoW? I hear it builds critical thinking skills.

auntjulia
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:31 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby auntjulia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Wow, I wrote a long post and my browser refreshed and deleted it. Long story short, I say go with this PS topic. Sure there will be some ADCOMMS negatively biased against gamers and games but I think your PS will stand out, and it could change the readers idea about online communities. Even your first post was enlightening to me, as a non-gamer. If you write this as you ought to, it will be fascinating and educational for the reader. That is far more than can be said for the majority of PS law schools receive.
And if you want a OL to look it over, I'd be happy to review a draft, OP. Good luck.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby Deuce » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 pm

auntjulia wrote:I think your PS will stand out


Without a doubt

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby buckilaw » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:39 pm

generally I would say not to use your wow experience as a personal statement topic, though there are two exceptions I can think of that may make it a viable option.

1. Feel free to use it for a school that is notoriously unpredictable, like Boalt, I think done right this could be a refreshing change of pace from hearing about why someone wants to practice international law, that their trip to Europe changed their life, that they want ot save the world etc. Though it's a risky move so you are better off doing it only where your chances of admission are low/unpredictable anyway. In fact I'd only really try this for Boalt.

2. If you can somehow tie in your online experience with a real world activity it would become more viable. For instance, say your experience managing dysfunctional nerds helped you to work better as a camp counselor or something along those lines. Of course you should only do this if you can point to a real experience, you don't want to fabricate a personal statement.

Best of luck, unless you played as a warlock. :twisted:

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 pm

This thread is great...bringing back old Naxx farming memories from high school six years ago...Running a guild is rough, but I unless you get an adcomm who plays they won't get it. At most I would put it on the bottom of a resume.

For the horde!

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13644
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 am

How every AdComm will imagine you:

Image

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby Stonewall » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:55 am

Maybe if you were a level 15 prestige in black ops it would be doable

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 am

ITT: Most of TLS is outed as WOW nerds.

I am disappointed that everyone here has not jumped all over the op! We make fun of everyone who reveals even the slightest insecurity or oddity on this site and WOW guild leader gets a luke warm response?

OP: I am going to tell you the truth. Mentioning WOW or the fact that you had a leadership position in an online RPG will probably severely hurt your application. The truth is that online RPG games have a huge stigma attached to them. People who do not play them do not understand their appeal and see them as a massive waste of time. You think you are developing leadership skills(and you probably were) but what you learn in an RPG can not be easily translated into real life situations. You could be an awesome guild leader but terrible at leading a team in real life. Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.

TL,DR: Adcomms will think you have no social skills if you mention online gaming.

wolfpack37
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby wolfpack37 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:33 am

buckilaw wrote:generally I would say not to use your wow experience as a personal statement topic, though there are two exceptions I can think of that may make it a viable option.

1. Feel free to use it for a school that is notoriously unpredictable, like Boalt, I think done right this could be a refreshing change of pace from hearing about why someone wants to practice international law, that their trip to Europe changed their life, that they want ot save the world etc. Though it's a risky move so you are better off doing it only where your chances of admission are low/unpredictable anyway. In fact I'd only really try this for Boalt.

2. If you can somehow tie in your online experience with a real world activity it would become more viable. For instance, say your experience managing dysfunctional nerds helped you to work better as a camp counselor or something along those lines. Of course you should only do this if you can point to a real experience, you don't want to fabricate a personal statement.

Best of luck, unless you played as a warlock. :twisted:


Ya, the idea was for reaches, I'd rather pump out a safe PS for targets/safeties. Boalt, Columbia, and HYS should I decide to apply would probably be the only schools that received this PS. Priest.

Flips88 wrote:How every AdComm will imagine you:


I thought you posted my senior pic for a sec, it looked so similar!

shoeshine wrote:Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.


Ya, I'm actually a business major (admittedly finance) with a minor in psychology, so I know (or at least should know) the importance of non-verbal communication. There seems to be a general consensus that this would be a bad idea for a PS, so odds are it won't come to fruition. I still have a few other ideas for my reach PS that I can have slammed by the TLS community.

User avatar
rich_4
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby rich_4 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 am

I once heard that you have a much better chance of writing yourself out of law school than you have writing yourself in. Just something to think about.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 am

<3 this thread. Were you on a PvP server? Added points for keeping shit under control if you were.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Don't write about this. Auto-Deny.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:ITT: Most of TLS is outed as WOW nerds.

I am disappointed that everyone here has not jumped all over the op! We make fun of everyone who reveals even the slightest insecurity or oddity on this site and WOW guild leader gets a luke warm response?

OP: I am going to tell you the truth. Mentioning WOW or the fact that you had a leadership position in an online RPG will probably severely hurt your application. The truth is that online RPG games have a huge stigma attached to them. People who do not play them do not understand their appeal and see them as a massive waste of time. You think you are developing leadership skills(and you probably were) but what you learn in an RPG can not be easily translated into real life situations. You could be an awesome guild leader but terrible at leading a team in real life. Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.

TL,DR: Adcomms Everyone will think you have no social skills if you mention online gaming.

This.

I was pretty good at Dungeons and Dragons back in the '80s when I was in elementary school. I had a bunch of those pewter figurines. This shows leadership and dedication, right?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby sunynp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Do not use this as the subject for a PS or mention it at all. Nothing positive will come of mentioning using WoW or any other game and relating it to real (as opposed to online) life. If you were applying to be a game tester or designer or something along those lines, then gaming experience is relevant. It is not relevant to law school admission. You will seem like a kid who wasted a lot of time goofing around, and possibly one with some kind of obsessive gaming addiction.

You must have other things in your life to write about that will not ostracize you.

Quite possibly people on the AdComm have personal experience with the frustration of parents whose kids spend way too much time online. This will not help you.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Outing myself as well. OP, like someone else in this thread said, while I was still involved in WoW, I would have told you that the experience proved a lot of good about your leadership potential. Now that I've been out for awhile, I think it shows more of the addictive personality and poor priorities (I don't think the addictive personality will be so bad if we can turn it into LS grades). I'd maybe think differently if you had a 4.0, but the 3.5 reminds me of my own worse 3.2, which was pretty directly attributable to WoW. If it did teach you real leadership skills, just use them in the real world. You'll know where they came from, but adcoms will not understand.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby paratactical » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I was pretty good at Dungeons and Dragons back in the '80s when I was in elementary school. I had a bunch of those pewter figurines. This shows leadership and dedication, right?

If you had real leadership and dedication, you would still be playing. I mean, those beholders aren't gonna off themselves.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:08 pm

It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:09 pm

3|ink wrote:It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.


Then those assholes need to participate in a 25 man heroic at Zul Gurub.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.


Then those assholes need to participate in a 25 man heroic at Zul Gurub.

Whether they're right or wrong, you have to anticipate their biases.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

3|ink wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.


Then those assholes need to participate in a 25 man heroic at Zul Gurub.

Whether they're right or wrong, you have to anticipate their biases.


How you respond seriously to that post is baffling.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.


Then those assholes need to participate in a 25 man heroic at Zul Gurub.

Whether they're right or wrong, you have to anticipate their biases.


How you respond seriously to that post is baffling.

I'm actually relieved to hear you were joking. I thought you were serious because I have no idea what Zul Gurub is.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm actually relieved to hear you were joking. I thought you were serious because I have no idea what Zul Gurub is.


No, I'm serious about the dungeon. I'm not serious about how adcomms need to accept it. Zulgurub is a bitch of a dungeon that came out in cata, btw.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.