- Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Stringer Bell

Gold

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm going to take a contrarian view here. I think it really depends on what your other options are. If you can write a really good statement incorporating this and you have nothing else worthwhile you feel you can write about, I could see it being worth the gamble.

FWIW This is coming from someone who doesn't play video games at all, hasn't played a computer game since Duke Nukem and outside of a brief obsession with GTA4 on PS3 (bought it because it was the cheapest bluray player at the time) hasn't regularly played a gaming system since Sega Genesis.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Last edited by lsatcrazy on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slacker

New

Post by slacker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:32 pm

It would definitely go badly with the majority of adcomms but I'd like you to do it so that it might just happen more often and become accepted. Even if this was an accepted thing, most PS's on the subject would probably be pretty bad but the few good ones should at least have a chance.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:I'm actually relieved to hear you were joking. I thought you were serious because I have no idea what Zul Gurub is.
No, I'm serious about the dungeon. I'm not serious about how adcomms need to accept it. Zulgurub is a bitch of a dungeon that came out in cata, btw.
Correction: ZG actually existed in vanilla, and was redone for cata...
Brutal, brutal pwnage.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:38 pm

bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:I'm actually relieved to hear you were joking. I thought you were serious because I have no idea what Zul Gurub is.
No, I'm serious about the dungeon. I'm not serious about how adcomms need to accept it. Zulgurub is a bitch of a dungeon that came out in cata, btw.
Anyone who did Yogg 25 zero light before ToC deserves an auto-admit at Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 am

I'm guessing you guys all think Harry Potter is great, right?

. . . facepalm.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I'm guessing you guys all think Harry Potter is great, right?

. . . facepalm.
I'm guessing you don't know how revered Harry Potter is on these boards already.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Kabuo wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I'm guessing you guys all think Harry Potter is great, right?

. . . facepalm.
I'm guessing you don't know how revered Harry Potter is on these boards already.
I do, and while many people question their decision to go to law school for financial/employment prospect reasons, I question going to law school because of this fact.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:18 pm

A friend of mine who's 2L at Columbia wrote about going to the World Gaming Championships in Korea

they even talked about him during an orientation speech.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:A friend of mine who's 2L at Columbia wrote about going to the World Gaming Championships in Korea

While I still wouldn't write about this, Gaming Championships in Korea =/= being a guild leader. Koreans take their games for serious. Their top gamers marry korean supermodels, make major cash, and are revered as rockstars.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:38 pm

TommyK wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:A friend of mine who's 2L at Columbia wrote about going to the World Gaming Championships in Korea

While I still wouldn't write about this, Gaming Championships in Korea =/= being a guild leader. Koreans take their games for serious. Their top gamers marry korean supermodels, make major cash, and are revered as rockstars.
I think the takeaway was to counter the folks ITT saying "Whatever you do, do not write about video games". I agree that going to a world gaming chamionship is much more impressive than being a guild leader.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:45 pm

A few years ago I would have just made fun of you. Dating a former guild leader has made me kinder to the nerds. :P

I edited a PS for a friend of a friend who wrote about her experience as a professional gamer. I think it was a strong PS, and it didn't appear to negatively affect her cycle, but I think this was because she played professionally and talked more about performing under stress/pressure than leadership skills. In any case, it's important to be able to tie your experience into why you want to go to LS/will be a good lawyer. If you end up writing a draft on this topic, I'd be happy to look at it.

That said, I think you should probably pick a new topic.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote: I think the takeaway was to counter the folks ITT saying "Whatever you do, do not write about video games". I agree that going to a world gaming chamionship is much more impressive than being a guild leader.
Sure. I mean, my little brother wrote college entrance statements on the Super Smash Bros. tournament he won because it subsequently got him a summer of game testing. If there's something really special or unique about it and you can write about it well enough to use it to convey positive parts of who you are, it can be useful and done well, but I don't think leading a WoW guild is unique enough to combat how difficult it would be to ensure a positive spin and reception.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 pm

DON'T BRING UP WOW WITH ADCOMMS EVER
Last edited by Ernert on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I'll agree with most others here. If you can write it and share it with us, and it's a great PS that incorporates several layers of your experiences go for it. If it's going to be a statement about solely about WoW or trying to explain that virtual vs real leadership is nearly the same I think you have a difficult road ahead of you. I work in politics, and the first lesson you learn is structure your message for your audience. Having said this, still try to be unique, but you do have to tailer things different ways. You have to remember AdComms are probably at least 40+ years old, possibly don't use/rarely use the internet. Too much tech speak or alien ideas will rub them the wrong way.

At the end of the day I think you should ask yourself if you can write it in a way that will promote your experiences being related to you being a successful law student/attorney. How did that experience alter how you will face the law. It's probably about on par with how AdComms would view someone who was the captain of an intramural sport in college. Great, you can make people listen to you, but how has this allowed you to grow and successfully tackle the law. If you can craft a message that brings you back to that central point great. Otherwise, I'd try for something else.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:40 pm

shoeshine wrote:ITT: Most of TLS is outed as WOW nerds.

I am disappointed that everyone here has not jumped all over the op! We make fun of everyone who reveals even the slightest insecurity or oddity on this site and WOW guild leader gets a luke warm response?

OP: I am going to tell you the truth. Mentioning WOW or the fact that you had a leadership position in an online RPG will probably severely hurt your application. The truth is that online RPG games have a huge stigma attached to them. People who do not play them do not understand their appeal and see them as a massive waste of time. You think you are developing leadership skills(and you probably were) but what you learn in an RPG can not be easily translated into real life situations. You could be an awesome guild leader but terrible at leading a team in real life. Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.

TL,DR: Adcomms will think you have no social skills if you mention online gaming.
QF best response.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:42 pm

buckilaw wrote: Feel free to use it for a school that is notoriously unpredictable, like Boalt, I think done right this could be a refreshing change of pace
Give me a fucking break. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Sheehan wrote:Now I'm thinking my 2v2 arena partner from when I played about 3 years ago would be a good LoR... we got Gladiator...
Hopefully he wasn't carrying you because if he was then it might come back to bite you in the ass.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:11 pm

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:I'll agree with most others here. If you can write it and share it with us, and it's a great PS that incorporates several layers of your experiences go for it. If it's going to be a statement about solely about WoW or trying to explain that virtual vs real leadership is nearly the same I think you have a difficult road ahead of you. I work in politics, and the first lesson you learn is structure your message for your audience. Having said this, still try to be unique, but you do have to tailer things different ways. You have to remember AdComms are probably at least 40+ years old, possibly don't use/rarely use the internet. Too much tech speak or alien ideas will rub them the wrong way.

At the end of the day I think you should ask yourself if you can write it in a way that will promote your experiences being related to you being a successful law student/attorney. How did that experience alter how you will face the law. It's probably about on par with how AdComms would view someone who was the captain of an intramural sport in college. Great, you can make people listen to you, but how has this allowed you to grow and successfully tackle the law. If you can craft a message that brings you back to that central point great. Otherwise, I'd try for something else.
No, you're not agreeing with most others here. Most of the people here are (very correctly) telling the OP that this would be a terrible idea that is unlikely to work no matter how well it's written.

DMBFan

New

Post by DMBFan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:23 pm

This thread makes me smile. I play WoW but I would never mention it in an academic context. If this is your greatest leadership achievement, I would suggest you cut back on video games and try your hand at the World of Reality.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm

DMBFan wrote:This thread makes me smile. I play WoW but I would never mention it in an academic context. If this is your greatest leadership achievement, I would suggest you cut back on video games and try your hand at the World of Reality.
You chose to associate your username with Dave Matthews. WoW is the least of your problems, brah.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Flips88 wrote:
DMBFan wrote:This thread makes me smile. I play WoW but I would never mention it in an academic context. If this is your greatest leadership achievement, I would suggest you cut back on video games and try your hand at the World of Reality.
You chose to associate your username with Dave Matthews. WoW is the least of your problems, brah.
DMB is awesome, hater.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
DMB is awesome, hater.
"Save Me" just came up on Pandora as I read these last 2 posts

and it is awesome

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
DMB is awesome, hater.
You paid money to see Toby Keith in concert.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”