- Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Cavalier

Gold

Re: World of Warcraft Guild Leader

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 pm

mcdoc wrote:I was the raid leader/de facto guild leader of a fairly successful guild (e.g., M'uru pre-patch, for fellow WoW geeks) a few years back. Having gained some distance from and perspective on it, I would absolutely not use it to market myself.

Yes, I learned a few things about leadership. Doing research, devising and executing strategies, giving orders, hiring and firing, and dealing with clashes between some fairly dysfunctional personalities--many of these experiences will probably serve me at least a little in the long run.

But looking back, I think my time as a raid leader demonstrates my seriously misplaced priorities more than my leadership abilities. There are so many better ways I could have spent my time and energy than helping a bunch of anonymous weirdos in their quest for prestige amongst a larger group of anonymous weirdos. There are so many more valuable, "real," experiences I could have had instead.

I think an adcomm familiar only with stereotypes will think that an applicant touting WoW experience is probably a socially inept basement dweller with an addictive personality who never took the time to have "real" experiences about which to write. I think an adcomm who knows the game well might think the same thing. You're probably not all of those things--don't leave them thinking you are.
I completely agree. Whatever you do: Don't tell anyone at admission or recruiters at law firms about your WOW experience. Don't ever bring it up! In fact, if you are serious, which I hope you are not, your judgment is impaired for even considering this.
Last edited by taxguy on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm

lol

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:13 pm

taxguy wrote: I completely agree. Whatever you do: Don't tell anyone at admission or recruiters at law firms about your WOW experience. Don't ever bring it up!
taxguy, does your son play WoW? I hear it builds critical thinking skills.

auntjulia

New

Post by auntjulia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Wow, I wrote a long post and my browser refreshed and deleted it. Long story short, I say go with this PS topic. Sure there will be some ADCOMMS negatively biased against gamers and games but I think your PS will stand out, and it could change the readers idea about online communities. Even your first post was enlightening to me, as a non-gamer. If you write this as you ought to, it will be fascinating and educational for the reader. That is far more than can be said for the majority of PS law schools receive.
And if you want a OL to look it over, I'd be happy to review a draft, OP. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 pm

auntjulia wrote:I think your PS will stand out
Without a doubt

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:39 pm

generally I would say not to use your wow experience as a personal statement topic, though there are two exceptions I can think of that may make it a viable option.

1. Feel free to use it for a school that is notoriously unpredictable, like Boalt, I think done right this could be a refreshing change of pace from hearing about why someone wants to practice international law, that their trip to Europe changed their life, that they want ot save the world etc. Though it's a risky move so you are better off doing it only where your chances of admission are low/unpredictable anyway. In fact I'd only really try this for Boalt.

2. If you can somehow tie in your online experience with a real world activity it would become more viable. For instance, say your experience managing dysfunctional nerds helped you to work better as a camp counselor or something along those lines. Of course you should only do this if you can point to a real experience, you don't want to fabricate a personal statement.

Best of luck, unless you played as a warlock. :twisted:

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 pm

This thread is great...bringing back old Naxx farming memories from high school six years ago...Running a guild is rough, but I unless you get an adcomm who plays they won't get it. At most I would put it on the bottom of a resume.

For the horde!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 am

How every AdComm will imagine you:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:55 am

Maybe if you were a level 15 prestige in black ops it would be doable

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 am

ITT: Most of TLS is outed as WOW nerds.

I am disappointed that everyone here has not jumped all over the op! We make fun of everyone who reveals even the slightest insecurity or oddity on this site and WOW guild leader gets a luke warm response?

OP: I am going to tell you the truth. Mentioning WOW or the fact that you had a leadership position in an online RPG will probably severely hurt your application. The truth is that online RPG games have a huge stigma attached to them. People who do not play them do not understand their appeal and see them as a massive waste of time. You think you are developing leadership skills(and you probably were) but what you learn in an RPG can not be easily translated into real life situations. You could be an awesome guild leader but terrible at leading a team in real life. Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.

TL,DR: Adcomms will think you have no social skills if you mention online gaming.

wolfpack37

New

Post by wolfpack37 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:33 am

buckilaw wrote:generally I would say not to use your wow experience as a personal statement topic, though there are two exceptions I can think of that may make it a viable option.

1. Feel free to use it for a school that is notoriously unpredictable, like Boalt, I think done right this could be a refreshing change of pace from hearing about why someone wants to practice international law, that their trip to Europe changed their life, that they want ot save the world etc. Though it's a risky move so you are better off doing it only where your chances of admission are low/unpredictable anyway. In fact I'd only really try this for Boalt.

2. If you can somehow tie in your online experience with a real world activity it would become more viable. For instance, say your experience managing dysfunctional nerds helped you to work better as a camp counselor or something along those lines. Of course you should only do this if you can point to a real experience, you don't want to fabricate a personal statement.

Best of luck, unless you played as a warlock. :twisted:
Ya, the idea was for reaches, I'd rather pump out a safe PS for targets/safeties. Boalt, Columbia, and HYS should I decide to apply would probably be the only schools that received this PS. Priest.
Flips88 wrote:How every AdComm will imagine you:
I thought you posted my senior pic for a sec, it looked so similar!
shoeshine wrote: Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.
Ya, I'm actually a business major (admittedly finance) with a minor in psychology, so I know (or at least should know) the importance of non-verbal communication. There seems to be a general consensus that this would be a bad idea for a PS, so odds are it won't come to fruition. I still have a few other ideas for my reach PS that I can have slammed by the TLS community.

rich_4

Bronze

Post by rich_4 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 am

I once heard that you have a much better chance of writing yourself out of law school than you have writing yourself in. Just something to think about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 am

<3 this thread. Were you on a PvP server? Added points for keeping shit under control if you were.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Don't write about this. Auto-Deny.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:ITT: Most of TLS is outed as WOW nerds.

I am disappointed that everyone here has not jumped all over the op! We make fun of everyone who reveals even the slightest insecurity or oddity on this site and WOW guild leader gets a luke warm response?

OP: I am going to tell you the truth. Mentioning WOW or the fact that you had a leadership position in an online RPG will probably severely hurt your application. The truth is that online RPG games have a huge stigma attached to them. People who do not play them do not understand their appeal and see them as a massive waste of time. You think you are developing leadership skills(and you probably were) but what you learn in an RPG can not be easily translated into real life situations. You could be an awesome guild leader but terrible at leading a team in real life. Unfortunately, learning leadership in RPGs ignores the biggest part of human communication, non-verbals. Go take any communications class (and some business classes) and you will understand why online interaction is not the same as in-person business interaction. In fact, the general belief is that people who involve themselves in these online RPGs for extended periods of time (i.e. guild leaders) actually diminish their interpersonal skills because they become accustomed to only interacting with people through their game.

TL,DR: Adcomms Everyone will think you have no social skills if you mention online gaming.
This.

I was pretty good at Dungeons and Dragons back in the '80s when I was in elementary school. I had a bunch of those pewter figurines. This shows leadership and dedication, right?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Do not use this as the subject for a PS or mention it at all. Nothing positive will come of mentioning using WoW or any other game and relating it to real (as opposed to online) life. If you were applying to be a game tester or designer or something along those lines, then gaming experience is relevant. It is not relevant to law school admission. You will seem like a kid who wasted a lot of time goofing around, and possibly one with some kind of obsessive gaming addiction.

You must have other things in your life to write about that will not ostracize you.

Quite possibly people on the AdComm have personal experience with the frustration of parents whose kids spend way too much time online. This will not help you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Outing myself as well. OP, like someone else in this thread said, while I was still involved in WoW, I would have told you that the experience proved a lot of good about your leadership potential. Now that I've been out for awhile, I think it shows more of the addictive personality and poor priorities (I don't think the addictive personality will be so bad if we can turn it into LS grades). I'd maybe think differently if you had a 4.0, but the 3.5 reminds me of my own worse 3.2, which was pretty directly attributable to WoW. If it did teach you real leadership skills, just use them in the real world. You'll know where they came from, but adcoms will not understand.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: I was pretty good at Dungeons and Dragons back in the '80s when I was in elementary school. I had a bunch of those pewter figurines. This shows leadership and dedication, right?
If you had real leadership and dedication, you would still be playing. I mean, those beholders aren't gonna off themselves.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:08 pm

It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:09 pm

3|ink wrote:It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.
Then those assholes need to participate in a 25 man heroic at Zul Gurub.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:It is also presumptuous to assume that WoW is just as difficult as a typical real-world ordeal. I'm sure that an AdComm would think that a game desgined for a general audience is not particularly challenging.
Whether they're right or wrong, you have to anticipate their biases.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

3|ink wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
How you respond seriously to that post is baffling.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
3|ink wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
How you respond seriously to that post is baffling.
I'm actually relieved to hear you were joking. I thought you were serious because I have no idea what Zul Gurub is.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm actually relieved to hear you were joking. I thought you were serious because I have no idea what Zul Gurub is.
No, I'm serious about the dungeon. I'm not serious about how adcomms need to accept it. Zulgurub is a bitch of a dungeon that came out in cata, btw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”