Where to start? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
emkay625

Gold

Where to start?

Post by emkay625 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 am

I want to have my personal statement done by the time I have my October scores back, so I know I should start drafting now. One problem - I have no idea where to begin or what to write about.

Anyone have advice for getting started?

Flips88

Diamond

Re: Where to start?

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:18 am

Think of an anecdote that may demonstrate what type of person you are or that shows an experience you've had that has shaped you. You don't necessarily have to tie it into law school, many if not most do, but it's not necessary. Come up with a few choices to work with and try to sketch an outline for each. Maybe write drafts of each and see which one comes out best. good luck.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:06 am

Flips88 wrote:Think of an anecdote that may demonstrate what type of person you are or that shows an experience you've had that has shaped you. You don't necessarily have to tie it into law school, many if not most do, but it's not necessary. Come up with a few choices to work with and try to sketch an outline for each. Maybe write drafts of each and see which one comes out best. good luck.
Thought I would echoing Flips' advice.

A good strategy if you can't get anything down on paper is to give yourself a 45 minute time frame where, after you can think of an anecdote, you just typing as much as you can without deleting anything. Get all your ideas on paper/screen and then edit out the irrelevant stuff later. Good luck with your creative process!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:00 pm

If an adcom asked you, "Why should I admit you?" or "What do you bring to the party that is unique?" what would your answer be?

When you have an idea, then consider if the adcom said, "Anybody can say they are X (where x is what makes you special), prove it." What would you say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”