Choosing a topic

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
wvu

Choosing a topic

Postby wvu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Last edited by wvu on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdeforcex

Re: Choosing a topic

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 pm

whatever it is make it compelling. one can make a regular story compelling.

keep reading more PSs. Find something that might resonate or you feel might resemble something you want to produce or represent yourself as

auburnbelle89

Postby auburnbelle89 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:whatever it is make it compelling. one can make a regular story compelling.

keep reading more PSs. Find something that might resonate or you feel might resemble something you want to produce or represent yourself as

Agreed. I find myself in a similar situation and just by reading other people's drafts and asking a few important questions about my life I know where I am headed. Ask yourself: Why do I want to go to law school? What makes me different than the other 10,000 applicants? Best advice I've received so far: "What makes you YOU?"

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 pm

You are going about it backwards. Tell us what is unique about you and what would make you a great lawyer, not what makes you run of the mill. Give us that blurb and we can give you better direction on what to write about.

Your story about the professor is just a hook. Maybe you want to talk about turning mistakes into blessings, or maybe you want to talk about your growth over time and how the professor chronicled it in her classes. Maybe each class is a "milestone" in your growth intellectually or as a leader. The initial story is just your hook.

wvu

Postby wvu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Well a hook is a start, at least. :wink:

I shall continue my introspective quest to think of something interesting about myself.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”