Addendum help! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gatorlaw

Bronze

Addendum help!

Post by gatorlaw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey guys, this is my first draft for my addendum. Please let me know what I should change ( I am reevaluating the last sentence...seems too "in your face") I also truly don't want to make it sound like I am making excuses. How should I conclude it?

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks

Addendum

I moved to the United States in 2001, at age twelve, only speaking Castellano. I have developed ample familiarity with and obtained substantial knowledge of the English language since my arrival ten years ago. Despite overcoming such linguistic obstacles, I do not feel my LSAT score is representative of my ability to perform academically. I strongly believe my accomplishments during the four years of my undergraduate career speak more accurately of my capabilities than do six sections completed under incredible time constraints in my non-native language.

JD2014

Bronze

Re: Addendum help!

Post by JD2014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I would reduce it to one sentence: As English is not my native language, I was disadvantaged during the LSAT, and believe my undergraduate grades better reflect my academic performance.

After that, I would seriously consider not including it in your application. Nobody does as well as they want to on the LSAT for a variety of reasons, but US News doesn't include "students overcoming disadvantages" in their ranking formula, so schools don't care very much. They just want to get their LSAT median up.

You should include this info in your personal statement though.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:23 pm

What the fuck are you doing? Don't make excuses for yourself. Just don't.

boalthopeful

New

Post by boalthopeful » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:33 pm

i wouldn't say the thing about 6 sections, sounds petty and vindictive. but the stuff about other things u did sound good

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:52 pm

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to take the LSAT in a language that wasn't my native tongue. However, I wouldn't include an addendum about it. You risk raising concerns about your fluency in English. You're going to be taking law school exams in English, and those are also timed, high pressure tests that require an exceptional grasp of the language. If you tell adcomms that your English hindered your performance on the LSAT, why wouldn't they assume it will also hinder your performance in law school?

Now, if you have taken intensive English proficiency classes between when you sat for the LSAT and when you apply, that's a different story, and one you should mention. But otherwise, I think your addendum will hurt you more than your actual LSAT score will.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your input. I'm not going to send it, everything you mentioned makes a lot of sense.

Good luck with everything

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”