How personal is too personal?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dasani13

How personal is too personal?

Postby dasani13 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:22 am

Do you think it's too "personal" to write about homosexuality? Also, would one be considered under-represented minority as a homosexual, or is that reserved for race/ethnicity?

I'm asking for a friend. ...;)

Fark-o-vision

Re: How personal is too personal?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon May 30, 2011 3:24 am

dasani13 wrote:Do you think it's too "personal" to write about homosexuality? Also, would one be considered under-represented minority as a homosexual, or is that reserved for race/ethnicity?

Just write about a particular experience--say a time in your homosexual experience that felt particular euphoria--in clear, well-structured detail. You'll be fine.

Seriously, though, you wouldn't want to attend any school that would reject you because of sexual preference. Every single one of my gay friends has expressed time and again what a relief it was to get to college and not have to keep up any sort of act anymore. Why would you want to put yourself back in that situation?

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:40 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Do you think it's too "personal" to write about homosexuality? Also, would one be considered under-represented minority as a homosexual, or is that reserved for race/ethnicity?

Just write about a particular experience--say a time in your homosexual experience that felt particular euphoria--in clear, well-structured detail. You'll be fine.

Seriously, though, you wouldn't want to attend any school that would reject you because of sexual preference. Every single one of my gay friends has expressed time and again what a relief it was to get to college and not have to keep up any sort of act anymore. Why would you want to put yourself back in that situation?

"a particular euphoria" Haha.

"not have to keep up any sort of act anymore" I was actually going to write about the opposite-- about the fact that I'm still not out due to my family's homophobia and how growing up in South America in the closet compares to the US. I think I'd be getting a little superfluous, though.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:46 am

Nightrunner wrote:No, it isn't too personal. The simplest version of the truth is that there is no such thing as "too personal," there is only effective and ineffective. I once saw a PS about an abortion that made me cry, it was so beautifully done. That doesn't mean I'm encouraging people to go write abortion essays; it means that you either hit the note correctly or you don't. Some notes are obviously harder to hit than others, but they can all be hit.

Here is a great example of a personal statement that discusses sexuality. Frankly, it is just a great example of a personal statement in general.

In short: decide what you want to get across to people who will open or close doors to your life without ever meeting you, and then write it as best you can. And then rewrite it, and then rewrite it again. Limit yourself to what works, not to what you think people want to hear.

EDIT: also, GLBT are not considered URM in the strict sense of the word, but schools do tend to look for diverse classes, and in some cases that makes an already attractive GLBT candidate slightly more attractive to the admissions committee.

"The simplest version of the truth is that there is no such thing as "too personal," there is only effective and ineffective."
Good to know, thanks! (and very nicely written) :)

"decide what you want to get across to people who will open or close doors to your life without ever meeting you, and then write it as best you can" I can definitely get my point across through writing once I figure out what my point actually is.. That essay you showed me is impressive! Thank you.

"in some cases that makes an already attractive GLBT candidate slightly more attractive to the admissions committee" Do you think that it could also hurt me in the same way? Maybe even hurting more than helping? For example, I'm under the impression that Georgetown wouldn't be too fond of this kind of diversity due to their religious inclinations.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon May 30, 2011 5:59 pm

dasani13 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

"a particular euphoria" Haha.

"not have to keep up any sort of act anymore" I was actually going to write about the opposite-- about the fact that I'm still not out due to my family's homophobia and how growing up in South America in the closet compares to the US. I think I'd be getting a little superfluous, though.

Sounds interesting and the kind of personal statement that could help illustrate your commitment to public service, if you intend to go that route.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:34 am

Thank you both very much for the advice!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 31, 2011 2:19 pm

dasani13 wrote:"in some cases that makes an already attractive GLBT candidate slightly more attractive to the admissions committee" Do you think that it could also hurt me in the same way? Maybe even hurting more than helping? For example, I'm under the impression that Georgetown wouldn't be too fond of this kind of diversity due to their religious inclinations.

Although Georgetown has a religious affiliation, it is not actually a religious school. Disclosing that you're LGBT wouldn't hurt you. Same goes for BC and other Jesuit schools. It would likely hurt you at Regent, Liberty, BYU and other ultra-conservative/religious schools, but I suspect you won't be applying there anyway.

FWIW, I mentioned being LGBT in my PS, and it had no negative effect on my cycle whatsoever.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 pm

There are topics that are too personal (romantic relationships, bodily functions, etc..) but LGBT status wouldn't be one of them. Lots of posters on here have written LGBT themed statements and been accepted to great schools (including GULC).

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 31, 2011 2:32 pm

On board with NR's response.

Good: Talking about your experience as lgbt and how it has impacted your desire to practice law.

Bad: Discussing a Saturday night where you pounded some twink's sweet ass with the faint pulse of techno music playing in the background.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 pm

It seems law schools have a big emphasis on LGBT now. It appears mentioning it will score you some points. If you have a chance to play-up the diversity card, do it. It can be race, sexuality, or socioeconomic background. I, personally, used the latter, and I do believe it helped me. It will be especially helpful to public schools and liberal schools.

gin

Postby gin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:57 am

I agree with NR and bj.
If your curious about schools that wouldn't look too kindly to LGBT applicant, LSAC has an entire section for LGBT applicants http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity/lgbt-overview.asp and a list of all the law schools that have a Outlaw or similar student groups, openly gay professors and administrators, classes that deal with LGBT issues and so on (I always have trouble finding that link but I'm sure you can find it). Those schools have all ready been mention and I would add Baylor to that list but like they said, I doubt you will apply to those school (unless you want to annoy them) I'm not gonna lie, I almost applied to Regent sending them my slightly anti-religious PS and my DS about being gay but I didn't want to spend the $12

Edit: Here's the link to that survey http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity/lgbt-chart.asp

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:48 am

gin wrote:I agree with NR and bj.
If your curious about schools that wouldn't look too kindly to LGBT applicant, LSAC has an entire section for LGBT applicants http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity/lgbt-overview.asp and a list of all the law schools that have a Outlaw or similar student groups, openly gay professors and administrators, classes that deal with LGBT issues and so on (I always have trouble finding that link but I'm sure you can find it). Those schools have all ready been mention and I would add Baylor to that list but like they said, I doubt you will apply to those school (unless you want to annoy them) I'm not gonna lie, I almost applied to Regent sending them my slightly anti-religious PS and my DS about being gay but I didn't want to spend the $12

Edit: Here's the link to that survey http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity/lgbt-chart.asp

lol, you're funny. thanks for all the information!!

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 am

Would having to decide whether to have an abortion or not be a good topic?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”