Ok To Talk About The Law in the Abstract?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Corwin

Ok To Talk About The Law in the Abstract?

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 pm

A situation I encountered as a result of my WE made me start to think about law school and the role the law can play in certain areas of society. Is writing about that in the context of my WE ok? Conventional advice that I've seen seems to advise staying away from abstract arguments or claims. I think I have a lot of good tie-ins though. My WE experience for one, and there were also a few articles in the LR of a school I will apply to that get at the concept I'm talking about. Thoughts?

Re: Ok To Talk About The Law in the Abstract?

Postby 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Corwin wrote:A situation I encountered as a result of my WE made me start to think about law school and the role the law can play in certain areas of society. Is writing about that in the context of my WE ok? Conventional advice that I've seen seems to advise staying away from abstract arguments or claims. I think I have a lot of good tie-ins though. My WE experience for one, and there were also a few articles in the LR of a school I will apply to that get at the concept I'm talking about. Thoughts?

You can touch on it, but I wouldn't make your entire personal statement about "the law." It may come off as a bit cliche. Personal statements should be personal, so you should try to weave what you were talking about above with a statement that tells a compelling story about who you are.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 pm

chimp wrote:
Corwin wrote:A situation I encountered as a result of my WE made me start to think about law school and the role the law can play in certain areas of society. Is writing about that in the context of my WE ok? Conventional advice that I've seen seems to advise staying away from abstract arguments or claims. I think I have a lot of good tie-ins though. My WE experience for one, and there were also a few articles in the LR of a school I will apply to that get at the concept I'm talking about. Thoughts?

You can touch on it, but I wouldn't make your entire personal statement about "the law." It may come off as a bit cliche. Personal statements should be personal, so you should try to weave what you were talking about above with a statement that tells a compelling story about who you are.

Those were similar to my thoughts. In my current draft, the first two paragraphs are in the abstract and I use the concept I introduce to weave a narrative about myself, my experience, and why I want to attend law school. So maybe only like ~15% of my personal statement is about the concept I am talking about?

Sorry to be so vague, but my statement irrefutably outs me so I am avoiding posting it.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Corwin wrote:
chimp wrote:

Those were similar to my thoughts. In my current draft, the first two paragraphs are in the abstract and I use the concept I introduce to weave a narrative about myself, my experience, and why I want to attend law school. So maybe only like ~15% of my personal statement is about the concept I am talking about?

Sorry to be so vague, but my statement irrefutably outs me so I am avoiding posting it.

Sounds good then. I can't say much more without seeing your actual personal statement. Good luck and remember it is less about what you say and more about how you say it. Just my thoughts.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:20 pm

From what you describe, it sounds like it could work. Just keep in mind that the people who will be reading it know a lot more about "the law" than you do. So it's ok to muse a little and tie it back to yourself and your motivation for attending law school, but don't try to inform or teach them anything!

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm

What abstract argument or claim are you referring to? do you have any text you can post?

icecold3000

Postby icecold3000 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:59 pm

OP, you might find this link relevant.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _impressed

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 pm

icecold3000 wrote:OP, you might find this link relevant.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _impressed

I'm very specific about the particular aspect of the law I'm interesting in, so I don't think I'm falling into that pit.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm with the above. I'd need to see it to give an opinion. But talking about work experience is usually a good thing since many incoming law students don't have much of it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”