Beginning to draft a personal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
90LawSchool

Beginning to draft a personal statement

Postby 90LawSchool » Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 pm

I have read through a few books on applying to law schools and have been reading around TLS for a while. I'm planning on applying to law school for the Fall of 2012...so I will start my applications this summer. I've taken the LSAT, have my transcripts on file with LSAC, have a resume prepared, and have my LORs on the way to LSAC.

So that leads me to the personal statement (well...first, am I forgetting anything?). I've started to think about my personal statement but I am very lost on how to start writing it! I've read that a personal statement should state why I want to go to law school but I feel like that would make a "boring" ps (I don't really have a "life-changing experience" that made me want to go to law school - it really is something that interested me because of my interest in politics and government in general. How would you all suggest going about writing the personal statement?

I really appreciate your help: I'm not even sure where to begin!

BackToTheOldHouse

Re: Beginning to draft a personal statement

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed May 04, 2011 7:32 pm

90LawSchool wrote:I have read through a few books on applying to law schools and have been reading around TLS for a while. I'm planning on applying to law school for the Fall of 2012...so I will start my applications this summer. I've taken the LSAT, have my transcripts on file with LSAC, have a resume prepared, and have my LORs on the way to LSAC.

So that leads me to the personal statement (well...first, am I forgetting anything?). I've started to think about my personal statement but I am very lost on how to start writing it! I've read that a personal statement should state why I want to go to law school but I feel like that would make a "boring" ps (I don't really have a "life-changing experience" that made me want to go to law school - it really is something that interested me because of my interest in politics and government in general. How would you all suggest going about writing the personal statement?

I really appreciate your help: I'm not even sure where to begin!

For what it's worth, I barely even mentioned law school in my PS (I think in the closing sentence or two I connected my personal growth to this point in life to the continued growth I hoped for in law school). The bulk of my PS was about a making the decision to go to college in general. The subject (deciding to go to college) was not as important as the presentation/story telling, in my opinion. Like most good stories (fictional or not), the subject matter isn't as important as the delivery.

With that said, I truly believe my PS got me over the tipping point at the schools I was admitted into. I also think it is what has landed me on a couple amazing wait lists.

Don't be afraid. Tell a good story. Capture a part of who you are. Allow your reader to connect with you on a human level. Don't sound forced.

Good luck!

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Wed May 04, 2011 8:50 pm

If you have a 173/4.0 you should not stray too far. No risks are necessary. Retake the LSAT and get 175+, then write a PS about being a quiet leader.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I bought a book of personal statements that I think helped me get the feel of length/topics. (I think it was 50 Personal Statements that were successful at Harvard). I basically mulled over ideas for a while, settled on a general idea, went to Panera and forced myself to write. I think the key is to get something - anything - down on paper, then come to TLS and let people tell you what works/what doesn't.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Because of past experiences, I'm a pretty unconventional person. So I don't think your PS should be written based on advice from a book. The PS is the one chance you get to "interview" for adcomms. Keep it personal, but not too personal. Tell why you are unique enough to be admitted to your class. Make adcomms believe you will bring an original perspective to your law school class.

The PS is important. It won't automatically admit you into reach schools, but an outstanding PS can get you into a school if you have borderline numbers. I spent about 10-20 drafts to finally come to an end product I am proud of. I think you are making the right move by thinking about this now instead of weeks before application time.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”