ps about bad experience as legal assistant

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gutterl

ps about bad experience as legal assistant

Postby gutterl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 pm

i was a legal assistant for an orange county lawyer, and he eventually got caught up in scamming a bunch of people who went to him for loan modifications and to save foreclosure on their homes, and he was eventually disbarred. as a legal assistant, he basically made me deal with all of the angry clients by myself, so i watned to write how i learned from this...about law, and the ethics side of being a lawyer and how it reiterated my desire to become a lwayer to HELP people rather than profit from it.

is it a bad idea to write a ps on this and reveal my association with an attorney who has been disbarred/had a class action lawsuit filed against him? its not like i took part in his bad business deals, i just had to deal with the aftermath..but i dont want law schools to get any wrong impression

BlueDiamond

Re: ps about bad experience as legal assistant

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:04 pm

sounds boring.. but why dont you write it then post it so people can read it and tell you if it sucks or not

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

As long as you are very careful to make sure they know you were completely oblivious to his fraud, and that it was well concealed from you (that you shouldn't have reasonably known about it based on your responsibilities), I don't see a problem with that. You can probably get some strong ethical dilemma points if the way you handled the situation shows your strength as an applicant and what you learned from it is believable and relates to your desire to practice.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:43 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:sounds boring.. but why dont you write it then post it so people can read it and tell you if it sucks or not

+1

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm

As one person said, be careful to show that you knew NOTHING about the fraud as it was going on. But you also should be wary of protesting too much/being defensive. If you can strike the right balance between the two, and write it well, I think it could be really interesting. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”