Do you write your WE in your PS? Or is that separate?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
legaleagle9

Do you write your WE in your PS? Or is that separate?

Postby legaleagle9 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:40 am

Guys, once again sorry for the stupid question, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. Where do you cite your work experience? Does it go in the personal statement, or is there a completely different part of the application in which you write about that?

Thank you!

Re: Do you write your WE in your PS? Or is that separate?

Postby 071816 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 am

legaleagle9 wrote:Guys, once again sorry for the stupid question, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. Where do you cite your work experience? Does it go in the personal statement, or is there a completely different part of the application in which you write about that?

Thank you!

FUCK
Last edited by 071816 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:44 am

What the fuck type of question is this?

In your resume

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

This is all personal preference. Obviously you will cite your WE in the resume and in the space in the application. However, I believe you should cite WE in the personal statement as long as it's not simply a restatement of bullet points from your resume. Obviously, if you have been out of undergrad for a few years, mentioning WE in the personal statement is almost necessary. Mention some anecdotes that you encountered at work and cite what you learned and what skills you built. If you have weak and/or non-legal WE, it may or may not be cited in the PS.

From everyone I talked to: from TLS, attorneys, admissions people, and current/prospective law students, everyone told me to cite my WE as much as possible, so that's what I did in my PS. I'm pleased with the results.

I think it's even more important to cite WE if you are applying to local schools (especially state schools), and you have local legal work experience. These schools want grads to stay in the area and give back to the school. If you can demonstrate you already have meaningful WE in the area, a local school might see your chances of staying the area as better than others.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”