GPA addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ademska

GPA addendum

Postby ademska » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 am

Posted earlier today with PS stuff, and I might as well include the GPA addendum I'm possibly going to use next cycle. I know sometimes these can be unwise, but I like to think I have at least a semi-legitimate reason for strong upward grade trend.

As evidenced by my undergraduate transcript, my performance after the first two years of my five-year college career sharply improved. During my senior year of high school, I was hospitalized for an extended time following the manifestation of serious physical health issues that persisted throughout my initial few years of college. It is no coincidence that the upward trend in my grades correlates directly with the diagnosis and treatment of these issues. In consideration of my application, I urge you to regard the final three years of my undergraduate studies as indicative of future performance.

Hopefully it's concise enough and the "urge" bit doesn't sound dbaggy. I didn't address exactly what my illness was because tbh I neither want to talk about it nor do I think it's smart to dwell on something that's no longer really a factor. My grades go from F-C to straight As. If you think I should go more in detail or just not submit, tell me.

kublaikahn

Re: GPA addendum

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ademska

Postby ademska » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 pm

kublaikahn wrote:If the illness was serious and not something you think would stigmatize you, I would be specific.

Stigmatization is of at least minor concern, and I'm just not particularly comfortable being more specific. You did point out, tho, that I wasn't clear enough: I'm not sick anymore. I got sick senior year of hs, more shit developed, old shit persisted, finally figured out the underlying cause and fixed it. Permanently.

Clarifying that I'm not sick anymore will help this statement y/n

Along, ofc, with your delicious edits to my awkward phrasing.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ademska

Postby ademska » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 pm

kublaikahn wrote:Maybe you can be nonspecific but use words like remission, chemotherapy, insulin, antibiotics, etc. that would indicated a serious physical ailment]

Ooh, good pran. Your advice to me on all this has been a billion percent invaluable. When I paste new shit over the summer, I really hope you're still around.

kublaikahn wrote:if you are on the bubble and an adcom feels you may not be able to finish your three years, you never know.

Yeah, hopefully the combo of what I have planned to add re: ^^^, a quick statement about being all better, and three years of solid grades should remove any(most?) doubt.

And good goddamn @ the arm story. Did she found a sharkbitten anonymous nonprofit or something? That's a pretty incredible attitude. In my case it's nothing so spectacular (thank god tbh), but I'll keep the inspiring I originally had a bit at the end about how my commitment to rocking hard was unyielding, maybe I'll add something like it back in.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”