Personal Statement Topic for Naval Officer

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Personal Statement Topic for Naval Officer

Postby 082490 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I am applying to law school next year through the US Navy's Law Education Program. I've spent three years as an officer on two different ships in the Navy, and I'm trying to come up with some good topics for my personal statement. If anyone has written any with a military background/any suggestions at all, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ducky

Re: Personal Statement Topic for Naval Officer

Postby ducky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:11 pm

something about bravery, sacrifice, or something like that. I think you have a lot of really great ideas you can pick and choose from since you are naval officer. Good luck! Thanks for serving our country. Sorry I couldn't give anymore help, if I think of any I will post back here.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm

talk about how insane your fifa skills are, and announce that you are accepting grudge matches in any ps3 game

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

fatduck wrote:talk about how insane your fifa skills are, and announce that you are accepting grudge matches in any ps3 game

Starting on the sauce early today eh?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm

How your service has made you want to become a lawyer (seeing injustice overseas, for instance). And yes, thank you for your service.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
fatduck wrote:talk about how insane your fifa skills are, and announce that you are accepting grudge matches in any ps3 game

good point, they already know about his extensive playstation experience from his resume

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

fatduck wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

good point, they already know about his extensive playstation experience from his resume

Are you saying that OP is bullshitting his military service?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
fatduck wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

Are you saying that OP is bullshitting his military service?

i am saying that people in the navy spend a lot of time playing playstation.

on boats.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:32 pm

@ 082490

I'm a Marine officer applying for the LEP as well. I just finished writing my own PS and would be more than willing to trade.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 am

Pick something that you feel passionate about, and connect it to law. Then, come up with an exciting tale from your time in the Navy and connect it to the topic.

Very general advice, but hopefully it will give you something from which to work. After that, we can take a look and point you in the right direction!

And, as others have said, thank you for your service.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 am

This and only this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

Write out the lyrics in full and send this video.

But seriously though, work in the phrase "nautical themed pashmina afghan".

Postby 082490 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Fifa wasn't my choice of game, I was more of an NCAA Football fan when I had the chance to play PlayStation...

I applied to a bunch of schools last year, but the Navy has decided to keep me on my current ship, so I'll have to go through the entire process again this year. As a result, I'm pretty sure I'll have to come up with a fresh personal statement for the places I'm planning on reapplying to.

Last year I wrote about one specific experience when I was standing watch and the ship almost ran aground and how I learned a lot from the experience, etc. etc. This year I'm thinking about making a broader statement...

I'm applying to schools through a very specific program (my tuition will be paid by the Navy, and I'll technically remain active duty while in school, and I'll be a JAG as soon as I graduate). I am thinking about writing about how I'm in a different situation than most people going through law school, in that the entire reason I'm going to law school is to become a JAG and what has lead me to pursue this path. Anyway, I was hoping for any feedback about this topic of choice... I know it's a little broad, but I think it's a pretty unique topic. Please give me any candid feedback, be it negative or positive! Thanks for the help!

mypendigs

Postby mypendigs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 am

082490 . . . that looks like a Naval Academy alpha code! Am I right? If so, '06!

Best wishes for your lat transfer board. I'm cutting the chord in a few months and going the pure civilian route through law school.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:01 pm

This seems like it should be easy for you. I'm sure you can come up with hundreds of stories. Just make sure it's well-written, and you'll be fine.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”